1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Merced Sun Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Posted today -- Nov. 8 -- on journalismjobs.com

Company: Merced Sun-Star
    Position: Sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: December 13, 2006
    Job ID: 700723

Description:
    We’re the Merced Sun-Star, a McClatchy daily in the shadow of California’s foothills. We’ve already won storerooms full of awards for excellence, but we’re still full of ambition at a time when too many newspapers continue to march in place. Right now we are anticipating growth in our Sports Department due to the conversion of our sports section into a daily tabloid sports magazine. We need a creative and enthusiastic pro to join us. Yes, you’d need to be a solid paginator for some desk shifts, but we also want a solid writer/reporter to handle assignments ranging from preps to Division I Fresno State football and basketball. We’re a staff of multi-task experts looking for one more teammate. Salary competitive with the area, outstanding benefits, great place to live without spending enormous amounts of money. If you want to be part of something special, send a cover letter, resume and three work samples to Human Resources, 3033 North G Street, P.O. Box 739, Merced, CA 95340. Email welcome to cchess@mercedsun-star.com Sorry – no relocation is available for this position. EEO Pre-placement physical and drug screen required.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

notice how this comes on the heels of the other sports opening? notice how this doesn't actually say the sports department is expanding? notice the poodles running amok?

3. Scribe4264

Scribe4264 Member

Notice it doesn't mention one of your colleagues will be The Pickin' Chicken :eek:

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, is there word on who the unlucky sonuvabitch is that landed this one?

5. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

i looked up merced sun-star sports on google news and three picken' chicken articles came up.

6. Scribe4264

Scribe4264 Member

Here's the latest Pickin' CHicken update from Merced boys and girls:

Records season to date: SUN-STAR STAFF: 79-31 LAST WEEK: 9-1; CHICKEN 68-42 LAST WEEK: 6-4
    The Pickin' Chicken is the Sun-Star's poultry prognosticator. He's a rooster who lives on reporter Carol Reiter's farm. Each week he picks the winners of a slate of games by pecking on sheets of paper Carol places around the barnyard. Can this bird-brained swami guess winners better than the Sun-Star sports staff?

CHICKEN SQUAWKS: "Man, I hate to make any kind of excuse for bein' a couple games behind the local hayseeds, but the truth is I tore an ACL in a little barnyard scrap a couple weeks ago and I've been playin' hurt.

"The boss wanted me to sit out a week or two -- heck, I was listed on the injury list as 'day to day' -- but I'm a gamer and I won't ever take time off.

"Problem is, those painkillers made my brain a little fuzzy and I made a couple of picks just to get it done and take a rest. Seriously, would I pick Los Banos over Merced High if I weren't on medication.

"I'm still a little wobbly, to be honest. Rooster knees don't heal that fast. But I'm gonna gut it up and try to finish the season with the rush.

"Be a shock if I rallied and caught those bozos, huh?"

CHICKEN

This week's games Sun-Star staff pick Chicken's pick

St. Mary's at Merced Merced St. Mary's

Golden Valley at Lincoln Lincoln Golden Valley

Hilmar at Modesto Christian Modesto Chr. Modesto Chr.

Highlands at Mariposa Mariposa Highlands

Immanuel at Dos Palos Dos Palos Immanuel

Chowchilla at Shafter Shafter Shafter

Delhi at Golden Sierra Delhi Golden Sierra

Michigan at Ohio State Ohio State Michigan

Seattle at 49ers Seattle 49ers

Raiders at Kansas City Kansas City Kansas City -- The Pickin' Chicken

Draft saved Draft deleted