1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Kane County Chronicle (Ill.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by WrIIter, Aug 14, 2008.

1. WrIIter

WrIIter Guest

Kane County Chronicle Sports Reporter

The Kane County Chronicle is looking for a driven, energetic and well-rounded sports reporter to become a centerpiece of our sports staff.

The successful candidate will have strong writing and reporting skills as well as a willingness to embrace new opportunities of the digital era. We cover the area's high schools, a minor league baseball team and all sports happenings in and around the Tri-Cities area of St. Charles, Geneva and Batavia.

The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field, newspaper reporting experience and the ability to balance priorities, work well under pressure and meet daily deadlines. Candidates should also have a firm grasp of AP and news writing style.

Page design responsibilities are required and knowledge of QuarkXPress and InDesign is desired.

The Kane County Chronicle is a 12,000-circulation newspaper; its online edition is KCChronicle.com. The Kane County Chronicle is published by the Chronicle News Group, a division of Shaw Suburban Media.

Interested candidates may send their resume, a cover letter and six to eight writing samples demonstrating your versatility by Aug. 26 to:

Chronicle News Group
    Human Resources Department
    Attn: Sports Reporter
    333 N. Randall Road, Suite 2
    OR E-mail: recruitment@daily-chronicle.com

2. tmurray2

tmurray2 New Member

Anyone know who left this position and why?

What kind of experience are they requiring? Anyone know? Could a graduate with some good experience fill the position?

3. spud

spud Member

Well, graduate with some good experience, I'd say it depends on your clips and those of the people you're competing against.

4. Non-Prison Like Way

Non-Prison Like Way New Member

To this area is booming, so it'd be a great place to live. Don't know cost of living, though. The growth also could mean that the circulation will rise. It's also 20-25 from DeKalb, which is where D-I Northern Illinois University is located. In this day and age you could do a lot worse.

5. Plus it's home of the Kane County Cougars of the Midwest League.... traditionally one of the top-drawing Single-A franchises in Minor League Baseball. They're averaging just fewer than 7,000 fans per game... which makes them a pretty big deal in the area.

6. There have been some excellent players who have come through Kane County. The Cougars are an A's affiliate, and before that they were with the Marlins.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

While Kane County isn't as pricey as Chicago's north suburbs, it's still not cheap.

8. tmurray2

tmurray2 New Member

I realize the application deadline just passed yesterday, but has anyone heard anything on this one? As you can tell, I'm a little anxious.

9. Non-Prison Like Way

I also applied and haven't heard anything yet. I have a friend who is becoming the news editor at the KC Chronicle and he told me that because of the state of the current journalism field there were a lot of good candidates who applied for the position, so I'm not overly hopeful.

10. Non-Prison Like Way

Was told by a friend the KC Chronicle has not held any interviews yet and he was not sure if they even have called anyone to set up interviews.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Welcome to Newbie Central! Now with more optimism!

Good luck, y'all.

12. sportsed

sportsed Member

Thought this paper used to be part of the Northwest Herald News Group, or whatever it's called. The tagline on the job listing now says Chronicle News Group and the accompanying e-mail address is daily-chronicle.com. Anyone have an idea what's up?

Draft saved Draft deleted