1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter in Washington, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I don't have any info on this newspaper. Washington or "Little Washington" as it's call in those parts did produce Dominique Wilkins.

The Washington Daily News is looking to round out its sports staff with a third sports reporter. We cover 13 high schools and East Carolina University, along with recreational activities. We're looking for someone who knows how to, or is willing to learn, layout. We use InDesign, which is similar to Quark. Please send resume, cover letter and clips to: Kevin Travis, Sports Editor, Washington Daily News, 217 N. Market Street, Washington, NC, 27889. No phone calls please.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Beaufort County isn't a bad place, though a little quiet - my grandparents have a cottage about 20 miles outside of Washington.

But Kevin Travis is little too anxious to be buddy-buddy - at least when he covers East Carolina - and objectivity is not something I'm sure he practices regularly.

Paper does not look very good, and I question if Kevin will let the other staffers head to ECU very often. It would be unfair to tag this "Run. Fast. Now." but I will say candidates beware.

3. GoDeacs

GoDeacs New Member

My knowledge of the paper today is limited, but my wife is from that town and her parents still live there. I know the former ME pretty well and I know a few people who used to work there before moving on to bigger and better things. I don't know the current SE at all, but in my visits there the section looks OK -- not great, but OK, though it is small. But like I said, people do move on to bigger and better things from Little Washington. If I'm not mistaken, the news side won a Pulitzer about 15-18 years ago. Perfect for someone young who is willing to work hard. Can't vouch for pay or how much the SE will let you cover ECU. Simply put, there are a lot worse places to be than Washington.

The town isn't exactly a happening place, but it's a lot better than it was 20 years ago when my wife left it. Greenville and ECU aren't too far away, nor is the beach (90 minutes or so to Morehead City).

4. Keystone

Keystone Member

It's a preps heavy section with lots and lots of little league ball in the summer. ECU is definitely a perk, especially if the football team is doing well. But that was a while ago.

From what I remember, the preps weren't among the best in the state, so overlapping seasons aren't much of a problem. But it does have one of the best nicknames ever -- the Washington High Pam Pack.

Circ is around 10K, or at least it was. You would be covering one of the most desolate areas on the East Coast. Some of the coverage schools are up to 50 miles away.

Draft saved Draft deleted