1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter in Vallejo

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zuri Berry, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Zuri Berry

Zuri Berry New Member

From Jjobs

Company: Times-Herald
    Position: Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 27, 2008
    Job ID: 954518

Description:
    The Times-Herald, a 20,000-circulation daily in the San Francisco Bay Area community of Vallejo, is seeking a sports writer/paginator who will be an integral part of our quasi six-member universal desk.

Candidates would be involved in prep coverage in Solano and Napa counties and some pro coverage (A’s, Giants, 49ers, Raiders), as well as the opportunity to write a weekly column. This position’s focus will be as a member of a sports and production team additionally helping the copy desk with wire or feature pages. Experience with Baseview, Quark and the web is a plus, but not a requirement.

Please submit a resume, a brief cover letter of why you would be interested in this position, your best writing samples and any salary requirements to: Tim Scott, Sports Editor; Times-Herald, 440 Curtola Parkway, Vallejo, CA 94590, or e-mail timothys@thnewsnet.com.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Salary requirements: Enough to be able to live there.

Would this be possible? If it is, I'm on this like plaid on a used-car salesman.

Or not.

3. In some parts of Vallejo, it wouldn't take much.

4. Zuri Berry

Zuri Berry New Member

Salary won't be great, but it won't be terrible either. I used to freelance for them and I know the editor. Good people generally, but they've been hit hard with cutbacks by MediaNews. I'd say a good job for folks who aren't necessarily established.

5. jren3333

jren3333 New Member

How's the area. In other words, if I'm bringing wife and kids, would I need to buy a rotweiler?

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

didn't this town just declare bankruptcy?

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Just watch out for the Zodiac.

8. thebigd

thebigd Member

Yes the town did declare bankruptcy. I know that the state has taken over some, if not all, of the schools. Has anybody heard a peep from this place about this one?

9. bigtimmy

bigtimmy New Member

has anyone heard anything about this job? I applied and called HR over there earlier this week and they said the SE was out on vacation and would be returning shortly and I'm assuming interviews either have started/will start soon

10. JD

JD Member

It is a MediaNews paper....good luck. But, Shannon Hogan in HR is good people.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

There are some sketchy parts of Vallejo, but plenty of nice places relatively close. Whether you could afford to live in those nice places is another story.

12. Timmy -

I'm about 80% sure that spot hasn't been filled yet.

Just FWIW: When MNG had its latest wave of layoffs a few months ago they ravaged the Times-Herald copy desk. All in sports were spared. Sports was supposedly already helping out on the copy desk here and there, but the amount of help significantly increased after you-know-who tore through there. Rumor has it that's why dude left.

Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted