1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Globe Gazette, Mason City, Iowa

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riding Phat, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Riding Phat

Riding Phat Member

The Globe Gazette, an award winning 19,000 morning daily newspaper in North Iowa, is seeking a full time Sports Reporter. Our sports section covers more than 20 high schools and two colleges in North Iowa.

We are looking for someone who can do it all (writing intriguing game stories and features on sports-related topics of high interest to readers, shooting videos, writing blogs, editing stories, as well as designing appealing pages once or twice a week). Pre-employment drug screening is required.

We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits including a generous 401(k) with profit sharing, vacation, etc. If you are interested in working with a great group of people, please apply online or through our website by clicking on "Jobs at the Globe Gazette".

2. NX

NX Member

Anyone have anything on this one?

3. Riding Phat

Riding Phat Member

I have heard they have a few candidates in mind, and that the SE has been conducting interviews.

4. NX

NX Member

I was thinking more in terms of quality-of-job, quality-of-paper type stuff. Do you know anything about that RP? Are they still accepting?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you interview, watch yourself on the plane ride there.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Too bad Richie, Holly, and Bopper didn't get that message :-X

Anyhoo, Mason City is a very good city to live in and a great opportunity to cover sports. It's near the IA/MN border, so there is ample chances to cover ISU and Des Moines to the south, Waterloo/Cedar Falls to the southeast, and the Twin Cities up north. They have two high schools (Mason City HS and Newman Catholic) in town, with Clear Lake (HS) on the other side of I-35. MC also has a JUCO (North Iowa CC, aka NIACC) in town that is pretty good in athletics. I have a college classmate who is the volleyball coach at NIACC. She attended NIACC before transferring to my college. She loves being back there coaching and the quality of life is pretty good.

Mason City was the inspiration for the musical "The Music Man", since Meredith Willson was born in M.C.. Also, they have a CBS affiliate, along with the NBC and ABC stations in Rochester and Albert Lea.

7. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

I could have sworn it was Gary, Indiana, which quite possibly might be the worst song, musical or otherwise, ever written. But hey, it's about Gary, so if the shoe fits ...

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gary's a dirty city. At least it was the day I passed through in '94.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Kirk, the SE, said they filled this position.

10. Riding Phat

Riding Phat Member

Anyone know anything further?

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Hardcastle said they filled it? That's good to hear. Kirk is well-respected in northcentral Iowa.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Yes, Kirk Hardcastle said they filled it. I applied, followed up to see if I was still in the running, and he said they filled it.

Draft saved Draft deleted