1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter -- Glens Falls, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by LarryDavid, Aug 17, 2006.

1. LarryDavid

LarryDavid New Member

Saw this came across the APSE site today ...

The Post-Star and poststar.com is looking for a sportswriter who wants to be part of an award-winning department in upstate New York. This position is geared toward feature writing and coverage of high school and recreation sports. There would be some editing and page design work.
    We prefer a candidate who has daily newspaper experience, but we will consider exceptional entry-level candidates.
    Our 35,000-circulation newspaper is consistently ranked among the best sports sections in the nation for our size by APSE. We cover a broad range of sports including horse racing at Saratoga, recreation and the outdoors, summer-league baseball, tons of preps, two state basketball tournaments and a state volleyball tournament.
    Candidates may send a resume and examples of their writing to:

Greg Brownell
    Sports Editor
    The Post-Star
    P.O. Box 2157
    Glens Falls NY 12801

Applications via e-mail will NOT be considered.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

They do rake in the APSEs, that's for sure. How close is this to Buffalo or Syracuse, or any other signs of civilization?

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Does about three hours from Montreal count?
    This is a real beautiful area, and as Shaggy said, there's a reason this place keeps bringing in awards.

4. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

One of the better 30K-circ papers around from what I've heard.

The closest city is Albany (roughly an hour). Syracuse is probably 2-3 hours, and Buffalo is all the way across the state, probably 5-6 hours. Also, I believe it's a good 2-3 hours to NYC.

This place pumps out awards, and pumps out good writers who move onto better places. SE is a good, helpful guy.

This gig would be a great start for any newbie, but I'd think on rep alone some with a year or two under the belt might apply as well.

5. LarryDavid

LarryDavid New Member

anyone know who left to create this gig?

didnt they have another opening recently?

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's a good paper all around, not just sports. It looks and reads like a 100K. We were vacationing in Lake Placid a few years ago, and it rained a lot, so I bought a lot of papers every day, all of them very good for their size: Albany, Schenectady, Watertown, Burlington (Vt.), Glens Falls. Except for Watertown, Glens Falls is the smallest of that bunch, but if I had to pick just one of those papers each day to keep me informed about the outside world, I'd have picked Glens Falls. The town is sort of your typical Upstate New York depressed shithole, but it's on the southern tip of the Adirondacks, so if you're outdoorsy, there's lots to do year-round.

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Pretty area. One of my favourite stops on the AHL beat back in the day. Knew Greg a little bit and was (is) a good guy.

8. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

one of their reporters went to a bureau job with Tampa Tribune.

Alumni designers include designers in Cincy, Seattle, Albany, Philadelphia, Columbia SC
    Most recent alumni writers include (since 2002): Redskins reporter with Wash. Times, preps reporter with Daily Herald in Chicago 'burbs, columnist/takeout guy in York, Pa., reporter in New Haven, Conn.

The SE doesn't mind a writer penning columns if they have a good voice and the ME is really into Sunday enterprise. For somebody with 1-2 years experience and looking to move into a the 35K circulation category, this is a must apply.

9. Nick Williams, who was there (I'm guessing about two years) is going to Tampa.

10. Pops

Pops Member

(... bumping real threads to the top ...)

11. sartysnopes

sartysnopes Member

Greg is an awesome editor. As far as small papers go, you can't do much better than this. I've actually considered, from time to time, leaving a paper more than twice Glens Falls' size to work for Greg and an obviously talented staff.
    Don't hesitate here. Get your stuff out soon.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I missed two opportunities to work with Greg in the past, and I regretted it. You don't go to Glens Falls and go backward. You only go forward. You work hard, but you learn a lot. There isn't as much turnover as there used to be, as two of the reporters (wonderful guys) are from the area and likely have no plans to leave.

To the person who said it's beautiful up there ... Glens Falls itself isn't anything to wet your pants over, but one you get on either side of the Northway, yes, it's downright beautiful. One side leads to Vermont, one leads to the Adirondacks.

And, of course, let's not forget the SportsJournalists.com favorite, a resident of Chuckwagon Trail in neaby Lake Luzerne. The baked chicken and cheese cracker who can bake chicken and cheese crackers.

Draft saved Draft deleted