1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Fayetteville, AR.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by giantjay25, Jul 24, 2006.

1. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Company: The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas
    Position: Sports Reporter-Preps and University of
    Arkansas
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires: August 28, 2006
    Job ID: 662389

Description:
    The Morning News, a daily newspaper serving the rapidly expanding Northwest Arkansas region, is looking for a sports general assignments/beat reporter who wants to be a team player. We are searching for a go-getter who wants to get there first and refuses to get beat on even the smallest story.
    The position is a mix of preps and University of Arkansas. The prep position will include covering one of the Big 5 schools in our 4-community region of Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville. It also includes extensive coverage of the Top 25 Arkansas baseball program.

The duties include covering an extensive prep beat, backup on University of Arkansas football and Arkansas baseball (road and home games). There will be advances, gamers, theme pieces and enterprise packages. And we don't take the summers off with the Rodeo of the Ozarks, American Legion baseball, Arkansas All-Star games and much more.

The successful candidate will have a college degree and at least two years of experience covering sports at a daily newspaper; will be dedicated to accuracy; possess strong written and oral skills and be familiar with Internet research techniques and AP style; also strong organizational skills and the ability to work well under deadline pressure will be required.

The normal work schedule will also include weekend and night assignments as well as overnight travel. Must be flexible and willing to work different hours to meet the demands of the beat.

The Morning News was a 2005 APSE award-winning sports section and strives to be the news source in Northwest Arkansas in print and online. NWA is one of the fastest growing regions in the country with an abundance of entertainment and recreational opportunities. And in spring 2008, Springdale will open a state of the art 6,500 seat minor league baseball stadium that will be the home to a Double-A Texas League affiliate.

If you are interested and you qualify, send cover letter, resume and clips by July 31, 2006 to:

Sports Reporter The Morning News P.O. Box 7 2560 Lowell Road Springdale, AR 72765

There are three openings right in a row (one sports and two news) fresh today on jjobs. Sounds like a pretty good gig, with home and road coverage of Razorback baseball and a backup on football, all right from the college town itself.

What's the circ? Couldn't find anything on ABC...

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

About 38K, according to powerreporting.com/knight

3. Who left the position, and where did he go?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

As far as I know, their baseball guy got upped to the basketball beat.

5. Who knew Northwest Ark was one of the fastest growing regions of the country. I knew there was a reason they keep giving Fayetteville shout outs on rap songs. ...that said, doing some 'backs stuff in the same town would be cool. Sounds like a good job.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Seriously, Omar, that area is sprouting up like you wouldn't believe. Blame Wal-Mart.

7. Peter LaFleur

Peter LaFleur Member

Does this job include any desk/slot or much office work? Anyone have a clue about any of that?

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

And Tyson Chicken.

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The people I know that work there have a few desk evenings, but from what I have observed it hasn't been REALLY often.. I think once every two weeks, but I could be wrong about that.

The guy who did baseball last year is Mike Capshaw, but I don't know where he went or what happened. My newspaper uses their Razorback wire, so we got all their stories.

10. King_Cecil

King_Cecil Member

Any chance they consider an entry level candidate who has done a lot of baseball coverage?

11. Before some jackazz here chimes in and says something like "why don't you ask" or "you're hired!", let me say they'd likely listen to a recent grad at that paper, judging by the size. But the importance of the beat in that community would make me think it would be an uphill fight.
    Then again, I have no idea about the situation, so let me shut up.

12. BornFreee

BornFreee New Member

I've got some contacts with the paper ...

Not sure who left, but the sports editor is a great guy and good to work for. It's a vastly underrated place to live - kinda like the suburbs, just without the big city to drive in to. The college scene is fun, and if you like the outdoors, there's a lot of opportunities. Cost of living is reasonable enough.

I'll bet a fresh-out-of-college applicant could get this job, with a decent set of clips and maybe a good internship.

Draft saved Draft deleted