1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- El Dorado, Kansas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianM, Apr 15, 2014.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

On the main drag. At least it was there the last time I drove through there.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Still there. It's also got a QuikTrip but no Kwik Shop.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

QT has great ice -- little ice balls. Perfect ice for chewing.

4. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

I will say a few things about the job since I used to be there.

The one thing right off the bat...you will probably NOT cover Wichita State. I used to until Kent Bush had me stop because it doesn't make sense to cover the same things that the Eagle would have days earlier. Was I happy about it, no; did I understand the reasoning, yep.

The second thing...Kent Bush is probably one of the best community writers/editors/managers I've ever dealt with. Be straight with him, he'll be straight with you.

I covered Butler while I was there. I don't know if they still do, but one thing you have to remember is that you only can work 40 hours as sports reporter because overtime is not allowed. Butler's SID...Matt Jacobs...is a former writer at the paper before the merger, so he'll help whenever possible.

Sports editor is Jeremy Costello...another good guy. The Times-Gazette covers teams from Rose Hill to Flinthills to Berean Academy. El Dorado, Augusta and the Andover schools probably are the ones covered the most, but there are 10 or 11 high schools in the county to cover.

My words about the position.

5. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Thought I'd enlighten everyone after hearing they hired a guy for $10.50 per hour, the equivalent pay of the cashier at the local Quick Trip or a vendor at Wichita State baseball and basketball games.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

QuikTrip cashiers in Wichita and Tulsa make $8/hour.

7. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

If anyone, you should know.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Just wanted to save your post here so when you delete it, it will still be on the record.

9. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

To be fair, I did apply to QuikTrip in Tulsa while I was in high school, but I also have access to this thing called the Internet. It has a lot of good information.

And I'm really getting sick of hearing people rip on full-time jobs, especially after they're filled. Is the pay great? No, but that's our industry. And someone got this job--probably needed this job--so how about we don't make the guy or gal who was hired feel bad for trying to do something for their career.

11. Decadent

Decadent New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted