1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Editor-The Garden Island (Kauai)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Birdscribe, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This came to my attention via a classified ad in Saturday's edition of the Garden Island, which serves the islands of Kauai and Niihau:

Sports Reporter/Editor Full Time
    Apply online at: wwwkauaiworld.com or e-mail twedemeyer@kauaipubco.com... or apply in person Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Just as a reference, Saturday's sports section is 2 pages, with one bylined story on the front page. Of the six stories on the first page, three are local to Kauai, two to UH.

Driving in from the airport last night, I didn't see much of the island, which many people say is the most beautiful of the Hawaiian islands. But when I inquired about restaurants, the lady at the front desk of the hotel here in Poipu said that everything pretty much shuts down at 10 p.m.

Just throwing this one out for you adventurous folks out there. Let's try to be orderly about this one, people. No pushing or shoving.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Today's section (Sunday) had the headline "Move over, Mickey Mouse" and a 4.5-col, photo of the Maile Bowl, between the Big Island champion Kealakehe Warlords from the Big Island and the Koloa Packers, won by the Packers 21-0.

Oh, I'm talking Pop Warner. This victory earned the Packers a trip to the Pop Warner Superbowl in Orlando.

Carry on.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

My wife and I honeymooned on Kauai. I can't compare it to the other islands, since the only other one I've been to is Oahu, and only the Honolulu airport there, but it is beautiful. We halfway talked ourselves into just staying there, me getting a job at The Garden Island, her working at Penney's (we figured ONE of us should be making real money!). We even talked about how long it would take them to figure out our car was abandoned at the mainland airport we'd left from. Sanity prevailed, however. Sometimes, 20-odd years later, we still talk about that and wonder if we did the right thing by coming home.

Draft saved Draft deleted