1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Editor, Big Spring, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DennisReynolds, Mar 15, 2011.

1. DennisReynolds

DennisReynolds New Member

Via JJobs. First it says sports reporter, then it says sports editor, so not sure if it's one or the other or a one-man desk.

Company: Big Spring Herald
    Position:
    Sports Reporter Needed Immediately
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    April 19, 2011
    Job ID: 915504

Description:

The Big Spring Herald, an award winning, six day daily afternoon paper, located in West Texas, has an opening for a Sports Editor. This position requires covering schools in our local area. Writing and pagination skills required, some photography skills helpful. Daily pages and special sections will be required of this position. Salary based on experience. This is a full-time position, and night and weekend work will be necessary. Contact: Ron Midkiff, Publisher. 432-263-7331 Interested candidates should send copies of their resumes to Ron Midkiff, Publisher, at PO BOX 1431, Big Spring, TX, 79720 or fax to 432-264-7205 to their attention. Resumes may also be e-mailed to publisher@bigspringherald.com. For More information-Phone: 432-263-7331.

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Used to run into the sports guy a couple of reporters ago, unless things have changed (and I doubt they have) it's a one-man desk. Don't know a whole lot about the job otherwise.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Big Spring isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from there.

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Big Spring, like many towns in West Texas, is drying up. Up until 1986, Big Spring High School compteted in Class 5A, the bottom end of which was 1,305 students at the time. The school now competes in Class 3A, the top end of which is 989. The county also includes Coahoma (Class 2A) and Forsan (Class 1), and there's a local junior college that plays pretty much everything but football.

The population is mostly white (51 percent) and Hispanic (42 percent) and getting older. For entertainment, Midland is only 40 miles west on I-20. San Angelo is about 85 miles south, Lubbock is 100 miles north and Abilene is 110 miles east. Having a good cable/satellite TV setup and high-speed internet would be a very good idea for anyone living there.

5. Fastball34

Fastball34 New Member

The juco in town is Howard College. The baseball team won the 2009 NJCAA national title while the men's basketball team won the 2010 NJCAA national title. I believe Crowder from Marquette is a Howard College guy.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Baseball team went 64-1 in winning that national championship, as well, for whatever that's worth.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I believe Forsan jumped back to 2A. I covered them at state softball last year.

8. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Nope, Forsan is still 1A

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was right.

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/alignments/sb-2a-2010.pdf

10. Mr. Costello

Mr. Costello New Member

Pretty sure this one has moved on to the interview stage, if anyone's pursuing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted