1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- Eagle-Vail, Colorado

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Jun 22, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=941318

I might be going out on a limb here, but the advertised $25K-$30K salary probably isn't enough to live in Eagle or Vail.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

It's a great position it sounds and I was going to apply, but requiring the ability to ski and/or snowboard? I haven't done either in my life although I want to try. Is requiring someone to know how to ski/snowboard being a bit picky or something? Just didn't sound right to me.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just spitballing here but if you can't ski you would not be able to cover some of the events held on hill.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Have a go, Kev. The worst they can say is no.

5. outdoors

outdoors Member

Well, if you thought living in Glenwood on little money would be tough, have fun with this one. You will need a bus of people living with you to afford living on this salary, and hope you have no outside expenses.

6. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Fairly familiar with the paper.

Used to work with their former photo chief. He was told the same thing, that you have to be able to ski/snowboard. He had never been on a mountain when he applied. He lied, got the job, taught himself the day before he started and was fine. And he had to take pictures while boarding.

You'll be fine.

A bigger concern is the COL there. It's worse than the Glenwood job advertised below (same company, FYI). You will absolutely need at least one roommate here. Perhaps two or three. Everything is expensive in Vail. Double the cost for everything, even fast food.

7. thebigd

thebigd Member

you mean swift owns the vail paper?

8. effinyorks

effinyorks New Member

Yes it does, as well as the Aspen Times, Summit Daily News and Grand Junction Free Press, among myriad other papers in the mountains...

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Regarding rentals, a check of the Vail paper's classifieds is illuminating.

Figure $1,200 for a 1/1.

I am excluded.

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

That's pretty cheap, I'd think, for that area.

This is one of those jobs that would be great in theory. You can ski (unless things have changed, you get a primo discount on a season-long ski pass. In fact, it might be free for employees. Not sure), it's in a beautiful area and if you're a sports guy, you'll have most days to yourself to enjoy the skiing/boarding.

But I can't fathom how a journalist survives there on a journalists salary. I know the average starting salary there is higher than the salary at some other Swift shops, but we're talking around $1,500 a month on rent.

Probably should add that in my dealings with Chris, he seemed like an all-around good guy. Don't know anyone who's worked with him who wouldn't agree.

11. Sawker

Sawker New Member

On their website right now...

Is one income enough in Vail Valley?
    http://vaildaily.com/article/20080623/NEWS/958197231

The answer: not if you work for the newspaper.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Great get. 8)

That link should be reposted every time they advertise an opening.

Draft saved Draft deleted