1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Duncan (OK) Banner

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by FleetFeet, Jun 19, 2011.

1. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

Note the ad doesn't indicate it's a CNHI property but the design of the company website is a dead giveaway. Expect pay to be pretty darn low (and, of course, the quarterly four-day furlough).

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1262782
    Company: The Duncan Banner
    Position:
    Seeking general assignment and sports
    reporters
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    July 24, 2011
    Job ID: 1262782

Description:

The Duncan Banner, a 6,600-circulation, multi-time Sequoyah Award-winning, six-day daily, has two openings in its news room. One is for a sports writer to join our two-person sports department, the other is for a general assignment news reporter. The sports position offers an opportunity to cover seven area high schools, a variety of participation and summer sports, and some coverage of University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State sports. The news reporter will work a variety of beats, as well as writing features for both The Banner's daily newspaper and quarterly magazine. While some experience is preferred, The Banner has a long-standing reputation as a training ground for young reporters and writers. Both positions involve page production. Experience with pagination and photography preferred, but not required.
    Contact: Email cover letter, resume and references to jeff.kaley@duncanbanner.com or mail to: Jeff Kaley, The Duncan Banner, P.O. Box 1268, Duncan, OK 73534. Information, call 580-255-5354.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Wasn't this just open? Or was that Durant, Okla.?

3. JPsT

JPsT Member

They had a posting for a sports editor in February.

4. Matt Stephens

Ah, that's right. Thanks.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

CNHI paper? Then it offers no matching 401K, major-metro like pay (that was sarcastic) oh and guaranteed home and away coverage of the University of Oklahoma at Norman (that was sarcastic too).

6. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

"Major metro-like pay?" I'm not real sure what that means (my experience is with smaller papers). However, I'd be stunned if this position paid $25,000 or more.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'm just down the road at the larger paper in the area and their biggest competitor in their area, you can PM me for details about the area, much as I did when the SE job was open.
    And hell, we're the third largest paper in the state of Oklahoma and we don't home and away OU, you don't see that much anymore, at least not in this area.

8. Matt Stephens

Lawton?

9. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Sorry for the previous confusion...laced with sarcasm.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think that's the case at more and more places. Given all the content-sharing within chains, it doesn't make much sense for every paper to send their own people. I suspect you can get pretty decent OU coverage from AP, which is not always the case with some of the smaller colleges.

12. dm19

dm19 Member

I can tell you this... the sports editor is a good guy and good to work with. He just started there a couple months back.

Draft saved Draft deleted