1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Designer - The Monitor (McAllen, TX)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Den1983, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Hello, all. This is the post I am leaving as of this weekend, so if anyone has any questions feel free to let me know.

====================

Date Posted

November 21, 2016
    Industry Newspapers / Wires
    Specialty Sports/Outdoors
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary mid-20s to mid-30s
    Website http://themonitor.com

[​IMG]
    Description:

The Monitor, the largest daily newspaper in South Texas, located in McAllen, is looking for a sports reporter, preferably with design skills, to join a young, vibrant and cohesive staff that has a lot of fun covering the Rio Grande Valley. Our award-winning sports staff coverage includes high school football, the NBA D-League’s Rio Grande Valley Vipers, and Division I athletics at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.

High school sports are prominent in our section and drive RGVSports.com, a site shared with our sister papers in Brownsville, Texas, and Harlingen, Texas.

Our ideal candidate is aggressive, functions well in a team environment, loves to dig, works quickly and accurately and has the skills to write hard news as well as feature stories -- all with a writer's flair. Also, because desk duties are shared among the staff, preference will be shown to applicants with a working knowledge of InDesign.

We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and benefits, including health and dental insurance and a 401K that has a company match.

Recent college graduates will be considered, but professional experience is preferred.

Please send at least five clips along with a resume and cover letter to Executive Editor Carlos Sanchez, csanchez@themonitor.com. No phone calls please.

Draft saved Draft deleted