1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Columbus, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GoDeacs, Jul 20, 2006.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The 25-30K is for a newbie. Chances are it goes up a notch for experienced reporters. How much, I don't know. Doesn't sound like a bad opportunity to me.

2. No, not in the least. I'm just wondering on how a 28-35 year old (who has bills) could live in that big of a city for that kind of money.

3. JME

JME Member

Again, I think that's pretty standard pay for a job like this in a city like this.

4. I just asked one of my co-workers, who is a metro-indy alum. They said 25k sounded about right. So, I guess if you don't mind the pay, this could be a grea job.

5. sportsed

sportsed Guest

You can live (and I have lived) on 25K in Columbus. It's about as cheap a big city as you're going to find. A fine town.

6. flyers76

flyers76 New Member

I'd say the chances of guys on beat being asked if they were from SNP are equal to being asked if they were from TW...then again, I may be a little prejudiced.

7. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I've seen some of the posts on here and I have to say it's very interesting.

Most everyone is right about the chances of getting to the Dispatch: it's probably not gonna happen. But if you like covering Friday night football, want to have the chance of getting your clips into a big-city newspaper and like working in a low-stress environment, this is a perfect chance.

You can live in Columbus on somewhere between 25-30K. Hell I'm doing it now (although admittingly it is not easy! LOL) I may be outing myself to some who are familiar with the area, but if I wasn't doing what I'm doing right now, I would love to do this gig.

There are some great people over at TW. Pretty easy-going, laid-back guys. And believe me, while some of the guys over at SNP are good guys, the working conditions between the two places are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

These guys have the money to offer, so it is believable. Feature-oriented can be fun at times, and quite frankly, it is easy work. Work it is though. The number of schools you will cover is plenty.

There is possible chance for advancement and Lee is definitely good people.

8. jball

jball New Member

Do we have any new information this position, and do they have a deadline for when they are looking to hire someone?

Draft saved Draft deleted