1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Chico, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by KJIM, May 10, 2010.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

From jjobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1168522

Company: Enterprise Record
    Position: Sports Reporter needed
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: June 11, 2010
    Job ID: 1168522

Description:
    The Chico Enterprise Record, a 32,000 circulation morning daily in the northern Sacramento Valley, has an immediate opening for a sports writer to fill out our four-person team. Daily newspaper experience is preferred, but talented recent graduates will be considered. Layout experience in Quark preferred, as well as multimedia skills. The majority of the job is writing, but all of our sports writers lay out pages occasionally and are expected to work nights and at least one weekend evening. College degree required. Pay will depend upon prior experience.

Send a cover letter, resume, writing samples and layout samples if you have them to Dave Davies, sports editor at ddavies@chicoer.com, or mail them to: Chico Enterprise-Record; 400 E. Park Ave.; Chico, CA 95928.

See the newspaper online at www.chicoer.com. Drug screening required. Deadline May 14, 2010.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1168522

Nothing but preps and Aaron Rodgers updates up there.

Not a bad place to live if you're right out of college.

3. ripple

ripple Member

Interesting timing. Just read an AP story Saturday about a club in Chico that had signed a japanese woman to pitch.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

They've had independent team up there for like 10 years, the Outlaws. They're the ones who signed the Japanese female knuckleballer. Gives you something to do in the summer.

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I remember like 15 years ago — I was in junior high — my buddy and I were bored and watching a lumberjacking competition on ESPN2 (clearly we were not familiar with concepts like "chicks" or "drugs") and one of the lumberjacks was referred to as "the bad boy from Chico, California," which I have never forgotten for some reason.

So maybe you can cover lumberjacks too.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Chico State is a legendary party school. I think it was No. 1 in the country the first year they rated the party schools. I had some friends go there and based on a handful of times I went up there, the reputation is well deserved.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And don't forget that staple of the gourmet cheese racks (as per the late and truly great Herb Caen): Velveeta!

8. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

The Sierra Nevada Brewery is located in Chico.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

rusty comes through with the best pertinent information about this job opening.

10. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

If you're just out of college, you could do a lot worse. The pay sucks from what I've heard, even by midsize standards, which I guess should be no surprise considering it's a MediaNews property.

11. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Any news on this one?

Draft saved Draft deleted