1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Carrollton GA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Fnerry, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Fnerry

Fnerry New Member

The Times-Georgian, a small daily in West Georgia, is seeking a full-time sports reporter. Our paper covers eight local high schools and the Division II University of West Georgia. Candidates should have a journalism background, with a degree in journalism or a related field, and must demonstrate good writing and reporting skills. Applicants should be able to write a variety of sports articles including game stories and sports feature stories. The ideal candidate should also possess the ability to paginate using Quark. Carrollton is located in the West Georgia region, 45 minutes west of Atlanta, in a progressive and self-sustaining county. The Times-Georgian offers medical and dental insurance plans, paid mileage, paid vacation and a competitive 401(k) plan. The Times-Georgian is a member of Paxton Media Group, LLC. Send resume and writing samples to Sports Editor Jennifer Iannone, P.O. Box 460, Carrollton, GA 30117, or e-mail jennifer@times-georgian.com. No phone calls.

2. This job pops open about as frequently as the 3,000-mile mark and the time to change a car's oil.
    Again, this is a Paxton paper. Walk away slowly on this one.

3. boots

boots New Member

This does not get the boots seal of approval and Jennifer is not the reason. She's OK. Her bosses, however.... well just tread very lightly where you walk.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Jennifer is very good, and while I don't know the entire story about the higher-ups, what I do know isn't good.

5. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I know a guy that had this gig until about this time last year. I guess they've gone through at least one other now. He didn't much good to say about the place. Unfortuntately, that's about all I can lend.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Look, it's a small town paper. Some are better than others, but in general the pay is going to be low and you'll do everything. I don't see this one being much different from any of a thousand others.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

for a newbie, this wouldn't be that bad of a gig, simply because you'd get some experience covering a D-2 school.The proximity to Atlanta aint that bad, either. Can't say anything about the pay and the management,but there are probably worse gigs out there for somebody getting a start.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It's a Paxton paper ... nuff said.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

as opposed to not having a job, i'd take the job no matter who runs the show.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Just quit hatin' on that chick dude. She should be dead to you.

11. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I'm missing it here. ... But novelist is right, I'm certain the situation here is similar to a number of others. Gotta start somewhere.

12. GameTime

GameTime New Member

Small town paper....,so what does one expect in the pay department ? It's going to be low and yes one has to do it all yet isn't that what one calls "experience"? It's character building for your future in journalism. Everyone has to start somewhere(especially right out of school) and be willing to realize that they have a LOT to learn and be thankful that someone is willing to help them yet with some expectation that they did learn something in school. A know it all attitude won't get you far. I too heard that Jennifer is very good. Ever think that the candidates just aren't up to par and that's why the job is posted as frequently as a car needs an oil change? I heard the Paxton Group doesn't have the best reputation but realistically..is a sports writers job in a small town newspaper the beginning and end of your career?Your dealings with the higher ups should be nonexistent to place its reputation on your check list.

Draft saved Draft deleted