1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Carrollton, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bydesign77, Jun 28, 2006.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Company: Times-Georgian
    Position:
    Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    July 27, 2006
    Job ID: 585514

Description:
    The Times-Georgian, a small daily in West Georgia, is seeking a full-time sports reporter. Our paper covers eight local high schools and the Division II University of West Georgia. Candidates should have a journalism background, with a degree in journalism or a related field, and must demonstrate good writing and reporting skills. Applicants should be able to write a variety of sports articles including game stories and sports feature stories. The ideal candidate should also possess the ability to paginate using Quark. Carrollton is located in the West Georgia region, 45 minutes west of Atlanta, in a progressive and self-sustaining county. The Times-Georgian offers medical and dental insurance plans, paid mileage, paid vacation and a competitive 401(k) plan. The Times-Georgian is a member of Paxton Media Group, LLC. Send resume and writing samples to Sports Editor Jennifer Iannone, P.O. Box 460, Carrollton, GA 30117, or e-mail jennifer@times-georgian.com. No phone calls.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Sports editor is a good gal, and easy on the eyes to boot (which could be a bad thing).

I can't speak for the rest of the staff. Well, I could, but I won't. Probably a good stop to work your butt off for a while and move on, which it seems some have done lately.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

covering west georgia athletics wouldn't be a bad gig. Hoops coach is Ed Murphy of Oel Miss fame. He usually has five DI transfers in the starting lineup. He intimidates the hell out of bad GSC officials, too.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Murphy is now the AD there, as well, and there is a push toward DI -- a mistake if you ask me, but nobody did. That said, the paper is more focused on high schools. There will be UWG event coverage, but I think in the past it's been secondary to the high school stuff. I would not expect to be a full-blow beat writer on campus.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

that's definitely the case with the preps, but getting some West Ga. clips would be good for a newbie. I think somebody energetic might be able to find some good enterprise with the team formerly known as the Braves.
    There's probably youth stuff involved too.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

btw, WG is the Wolves now. Canines everywhere are uniting in protest.

Draft saved Draft deleted