1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sports reporter, Butte MT

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Jul 11, 2014.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

The Montana Standard, a daily newspaper in Butte, is seeking a sports reporter.

The Standard’s award-winning sports desk covers more than a dozen high schools and Montana Tech, a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. Butte is a sports-crazed community, and Montanans call us the “City of Champions.”

The Standard is looking for a reporter who knows a vibrant sports section goes beyond a box score, someone with innovative ideas who can add a little energy to a veteran staff. The ideal applicant will have experience at a daily newspaper, but we’ll also consider recent college graduates or weekly reporters with strong clips. We’ll hire a proven journalist who knows how to develop a beat, write tightly on deadline, flesh out features and file live reports from the field for our digital platforms.

The Standard is the leading news source for southwest Montana and a digital-first newsroom.

Our coverage area includes some of the nation’s premiere recreation destinations. Hunting, hiking, fishing, skiing and camping opportunities abound. A hub for the regional economy, Butte also offers shopping, a vibrant arts scene and affordable housing.

We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401K plan, and paid time off. We are an equal-opportunity employer. You can see our website at www.mtstandard.com and learn more about our parent company at www.lee.net.

Questions? Contact Sports Editor Al Balderas at al.balderas@mtstandard.com.

To apply, complete an online application at www.mtstandard.com/workhere. Attach a cover letter, resume and three samples of your best work.

2. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

just a quick update on this gig....

If you might be interested in applying, please do so. I was hoping to start looking at application packages last week but corporate meetings and other in-office distractions didn't give me the chance to do that. I plan to start going through that process early next week (that's the week of July 21).

I appreciate your patience in this.

Also, I have heard from some people that the Lee website doesn't allow you to post your cover letter. If that's the case, please send it to the email that's listed in the original posting and I'll connect it to your resume/clips on this end.

And as always, if you have any questions about this job, please PM me.

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I'm a grown man, married with a kids, a college degree and I still can't see the name of this city without flashing back to Beavis and Butt-head laughing at "Butt, Montana"

Draft saved Draft deleted