1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter - Bozeman Daily Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GidalKaiser, Sep 24, 2014.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

A labor code violation? At a newspaper? The very thought is shocking.

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I know squat about hunting but Montana seems to have a season for just about anything, from turkey to wolverine to mountain goat.

Maybe they forgot to mention the free Intro-to-Trapping seminar included as part of the package?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My first paper, a weekly, did it. They later, after I left, got busted by the Dept. Of Labor and ordered to put in a time clock. My other papers always paid OT, as long as the employee notified them about it in advance and gave them the opportunity to tell the employee to leave for the week after 40. My Gannett paper, in particular, was very careful about it.

4. lely

lely New Member

I'm sorry, but the salaries that some of these papers are offering are a joke. Anything less than 34K for someone who is single on their own with a car payment and student loans can't get by with anything less.

If I wanted to live in poverty, I would have skipped college and worked at McDonalds.

OK. Rant over.

5. HookEm2014

HookEm2014 Member

While I agree with the idea, (I did not go to college to work fast food) you can get by quite easily at 34K or a little less with student loans, rent and a car payment. I do it, and rent is insane where I live.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

So are you saying that $33k or even less is acceptable?

7. HookEm2014

HookEm2014 Member

For our industry at the moment, yes. Not to say I like it, but that's the way it's been.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yes, in many parts of the country. Heck, my best friend, who was a teacher, didn't make that much after being in the business a decade.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pioneer has run that paper into the ground.

Bozeman is a really nice town, has all the stuff you would want plus the university and skiing opportunities close by. But that salary is nowhere near enough to live on. It's embarrassing.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Just making sure because I don't make that much.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

We should all organize for a pay hike like the fast-food workers.

12. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

The position has been filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted