1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter- Boston, MA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1558392

Company: MassLive.com
    Position:
    Boston Pro Sports Reporter - MassLive.com
    seeks FT general assignment reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    February 21, 2014
    Job ID: 1558392

Description:

Description:

About MassLive.com:

Based in Springfield, Mass., MassLive.com is the No. 1 news and information website in Western Massachusetts with over 2.6 million unique visitors* per month. We are affiliated with The Republican newspaper. MassLive.com is owned by Advance Local.

Overview:

We are currently recruiting for a full-time pro sports general assignment Reporter. This position will provide daily news updates on Boston’s sports teams, including the Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots, Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins. The general assignment reporter would work closely with the beat writers of each team to maximize audience growth and community engagement. Specifically, the Reporter will be responsible for all aspects of original reporting and packaging digital content: writing, editing, as well as shooting photos & video. In addition, our reporter will be expected to maintain a consistent presence in the community, both in person and on major social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter. You will lead discussions with the audience, answer questions, respond to comments, engage with social media - and possibly represent the company on TV or radio.

To qualify for this position, we require a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications combined with no less than 2 years relevant professional sports beat writing experience, producing and packaging digital content.

Job requirements also include:

Ability to write iteratively and often;
    Proven ability to report, write clean copy and copy edit (AP style);
    Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic standards and story structure;
    Ability to aggregate from credible sources;
    Ability to work under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately;
    Experience with SEO best practices;
    Comfort level producing multimedia including digital photography and video;
    Willingness to consistently engage audience on social media and MassLive comment streams;
    Ability to work independently and remotely, while maintaining operational communication with editor.
    Exceptional writing skills and familiarity with AP Style;
    Proficiency in MS Office Suite;
    Experience in Movable Type or equivalent blogging software;
    Early adopter of new technologies, new processes and best practices for creating and maintaining digital content to grow audience;
    Results driven, with experience in a deadline-oriented environment;
    Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills; and
    Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, holidays, and weekends.

Masslive offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health & dental benefits, paid time off, and 401k with match.

For immediate consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to Editor-In-Chief Ed Kubosiak at ed.kubosiak@masslive.com. No phone calls, please.

MassLive.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

*Source: Omniture, October 2013

2. kkoczwara

kkoczwara Member

Ed's a great boss and this is a great spot to get noticed. You will have to work your butt off, but this is an awesome opportunity.

3. SP7988

SP7988 Member

In regards to the salary requirements, I haven't seen that in any job post I've applied to in the past. It always worries me because I am afraid of either a). stating a salary extremely lower than what they expected to pay for the position, thus putting myself in a tough situation or b). going a lot higher than what they wanted to pay, thus eliminating me from consideration.

Second, I didn't graduate with a degree in Journalism or Communication (I was marketing), but I do have 6-7 years of experience in the journalism field. However, the ad clearly states that they "require" a degree in journalism or communication.

So would it be worth it to even try to apply?

4. For a., I would say just tell them roughly what your current salary is and you'd hope for a small raise on the next step of your career path. (If that's true). That avoids the awkwardness of making a demand. And if that eliminates you, that's not a bad thing. Saves everyone, including yourself, wasted time. I'd prefer to know up front if I'm going to be too expensive for someone to hire.

As for b., I wouldn't worry about it. Unless your degree was in welding or something, I can't imagine they would even ask or care. That's likely boilerplate.

5. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Thank you, sir. Appreciate the response.

6. kkoczwara

kkoczwara Member

Apply. I worked for MassLive, pay is pretty good and even better than I thought with plenty of room to grow.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

I've always thought the salary requirement question is inappropriate for those same reasons. If you're an editor, you have my resume. You have my clips. Make what you think is a fair offer. Or, better yet, list the pay range in the ad.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

As has been pointed out many times before, that often isn't the editor putting it in there. It's someone in HR.

Cost of living in the Boston area sucks. Don't expect to live well on anything less than $40k inside 495.

9. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

This was several years ago but as final semester of communications degree, interned at a prestigious Boston ad agency (learned I didn't want to be in advertising, but that's another story). Anyway, starting salary for new hires was $13,000. Thirteen grand in Beantown. Young people there walked around bleary-eyed because they all had to get night jobs bartending, waiting tables, etc.

Company's philosophy was "If these kids want a career in advertising badly enough they'll sacrifice to make it."

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

MassLive's in Springfield which is a little cheaper cost of living wise. Don't know how much travel they'll be expecting to Boston though you could burn the difference in gas if its daily

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I would imagine mileage is also a factor, however. I'd go for it.

12. kkoczwara

kkoczwara Member

They have reporters across the state, though. Can't imagine this position would be in Springfield, but would be a remote reporter in Boston.

Draft saved Draft deleted