1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Bluffton, S.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgaleadfoot, May 3, 2007.

1. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Exciting opportunity for an experienced Sports Reporter in an innovative, hyper-local daily newspaper in lovely Bluffton, SC. This Sports Reporter will cover sports from NAIA-level college down through youngster’s recreational leagues. Includes professional golf on nearby Hilton Head Island, retirement community sporting events and outdoor recreation in one of the most beautiful areas of the low country. Sports Reporter will also contribute creatively to our daily news pages as well as two weekly newspapers.

Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or English and two year’s experience doing sports or other reporting. A passion for covering the local sports scene across multi-media platforms is required.

Send resume to:

Robert Holquist, Managing Editor Bluffton Today P. O. Box 486 Bluffton, SC 29910 Robert.holquist@blufftontoday.com EOE

2. Bluffton's online edition is pretty sweet (the PDF viewing thingy that makes it seem like you're actually turning the pages).

3. it's a very interesting morris experiment. the paper is given away for free all over the place, and the website is mainly postings from readers/users. from what i've heard, morris made a huge investment here (and continues to spend) and the area is close-knit and growing. the county (beaufort co.) is also home to hh and beaufort (with daily papers) on the coast.

4. JimEdCrew

JimEdCrew Member

I'm actually the editor looking for an additional reporter in Bluffton. If you have any questions, let me know. We're excited to finally get this position added to staff.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Bluffton's web site is supposed to be a trial for the rest of the Morris papers. The Morris paper I used to work at was taking the Bluffton style for a redesign of their site. I haven't seen that site go into affect yet, and I don't think it will because my paper was too ambitious for its own good, but from what I understand, that web site is supposed to become a templet for other Morris sites.

6. JohnKeene

JohnKeene New Member

online edition does look good

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude visited there last year to see how a Web-heavy, free-print product was put together. Said she liked the place and loved the Hilton Head beaches (and she has plenty of sand-in-her-toes experience).

8. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

Is this the same paper that you have to take a five hour writing test when you apply?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That Web site some kind of blows me away.

If you haven't checked out how you'll be reading newspapers in 10 years, go see it now.

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

My favorite part of the ad.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

If anyone wants to know more about this, PM me.

12. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

An interesting site, to be sure, but when I clicked on "News" and "Sports" I got a three-paragraph summary of a game that ended with "GO BOBCATS."

I like things being interactive, but I hope that's not the future of the biz to a T.

Draft saved Draft deleted