1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter at Odessa (Texas) American

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by pressboxramblings07, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. From JournalismJobs.com: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=558175

Want the best high school football beat in Texas and probably the nation? Cover the famed Permian Panthers football team under the West Texas Friday Night Lights. Also, get the opportunity to cover various other high school and college sports and office work as directed by the sports editor. Come to work for an award-winning daily in the heart of West Texas and get to watch and cover some of the best high school sports in the nation. We need an energetic reporter who knows how to cover high school sports and who is an interactive whiz. The successful candidate will be just as comfortable in the press box blogging as they are on the field checking stats. Competitive salary, 401 K plan and other benefits. Submit resume and clips to Sports Editor Chris Gove, Odessa American, P.O. Box 2952, Odessa, Texas, 79761.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know much about the paper but the beat is, as you can tell, to cover the team highlighted in the book and movie, Friday Night Lights. I'm sure the town will lap up anything you feed them on Permian.

The cons: you're in the middle of nowhere, it's friggin' hot 364 days out of the year and although Permian had a great season last year, it's not the best high school beat in the nation in my opinion.

2. ccraker

ccraker Guest

Sam Waller is leaving. He's worked at the OA for four years.

This is a good job and I think it is the best high school beat in the nation for the sheer fact that it is like covering Division I football with the amount of stories, features, previews, etc. that we do for Permian and Odessa High.

Permian had a good year last year and the program seems to be moving in a new direction.

Also, Odessa is far from the worst place to live. It is in the middle of nowhere, but Odessa has 100,000 people in town and Midland - 20 miles away - has another 120,000. So, it isn't a small town.

There is also a Double-A baseball team in Midland that we cover somewhat in the summer, a CHL team in town and an IFL team in town.

3. ccraker

ccraker Guest

Oh, and you get to work with me. PM me with any questions.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

odessa american SE chris gove is a fucking stud.

nice guy who knows how to kick ass in this biz.

5. ccraker

ccraker Guest

Something else I was going to add as far as Permian is concerned.

The Panthers still draw huge crowds, granted not quite as big as in the 1980s, but they average in the 10-14 thousand range. And if the game is big enough (ie. the nationally broadcast game against Euless Trinity last season) the Panthers can still pull near 18,000.

Basically, West Texas high school football is something you have to see to believe.

Craig Craker

6. jps

jps Active Member

He's a little too into soccer, but he's got the best hair in all of West Texas to be sure.

(And as an aside, I only hope I can be in this biz long enough to get the f'in stud seal of approval from Tom)

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sam used to work in these parts before he went out west. Where's he headed?

8. ccraker

ccraker Guest

Abilene.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

aw, dude, you're too kind. but may i say that suggesting chris gove is a little too much into soccer is much like saying brad renfro was too good of a fucking actor. :D

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i understand joe allen's is located in abilene.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But you can't get Dublin Dr Pepper there.

12. jps

jps Active Member

You can get Dublin Dr Pepper all over west texas, my friend. located on a wal-mart shelf near you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.