1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter / Asst. Sports Editor -- North Adams (Mass.) Transcript

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Company: North Adams Transcript
    Position:
    Sports reporter.asst. sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    March 8, 2011
    Job ID: 1230145

Description:

The North Adams Transcript, an award-winning six-day-a-week newspaper in the beautiful Berkshires of Massachusetts, seeks a highly motivated sports reporter/assistant editor. We put the focus on local athletics — four high schools and two colleges (Williams College, Mass. College of Liberal Arts) — but also cover national sports. The ideal candidate should be able to write game stories, features and columns, be familiar with Quark XPress and have some knowledge of Photoshop. North Adams is within a half-hour drive of several ski areas and abounds with outdoor recreational opportunities. The job offers an excellent opportunity to advance. Submit a resume with a cover letter and five clips of different story types to sports editor Neil Benjamin Jr., nbenjamin@thetranscript.com.

via journalismjobs.com

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

My very first job ... many, many, many, many moons ago.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Is this the place that mentions bootstraps in all its news side job ads?

4. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

No, that's the Berkshire Beacon.

The Transcript is the sister paper of the Berkshire Eagle and the Bennington (VT) Banner.
    I worked for the Banner a quite a few years ago and from what I understand, the Transcript is a similar paper - a small daily that doesn't pay a ton, but will give you a ton of experience doing everything from writing to layout to photography. Good job for someone just starting out and from what I understand and remember, good people to work for.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Just curious---whatever haoppened to Dave Metcalf, who was SE here back in the '70s? Literally, he gave me my start in sports writing.

6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Dude, those ads were the BEST. Yall have no idea how much I miss those. Talking about "bootstrap journalism" and "stipendiums" and shit, those were AWESOME.

7. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Found one of those "Bootstrap" ads, bon appetit...

http://www.berkshirebeacon.com/bootstrap.html

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You'll get a career without "the big pay you think you deserve."

The Berkshire Beacon is a publication I want to fail. [/patchcrossthread]

9. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

I used to get two emails a week from that guy with those "bootstrap journalism" emails.
    The Transcript, on the other hand, is a pretty decent publication, considering the area it's in and the resources it has at its disposal.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Honestly I miss North Adams. Went to school there at Mass. College of Liberal Arts, formerly North Adams State College. If I could afford a lower salary I would apply for this gig just because I miss living in The Berkshires so much. It's a poorer and run down part of the state, but it is easy living, so laid back and relaxing. I miss the area so much.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

You and me both ... the people there are so genuine. If I had my current gig there, I'd be a happy man.

12. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Position's been filled

Draft saved Draft deleted