1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter Arizona Daily Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hrwilson3, Jun 12, 2009.

1. hrwilson3

hrwilson3 New Member

Sports Reporter: Experienced, versatile reporter sought for a two-person sports department for 11,500-circ 7-day daily in a Division I university town. Must have daily deadline experience and clips that show a wide range of sports coverage as well as story forms: beat, features, and enterprise. Must be able to step in for the editor and slot stories, write heds and copy edit. Page design experience a plus. The Arizona Daily Sun is in Flagstaff, a city of 60,000 at 7,000 feet with a four-season climate, gateway to the Grand Canyon and a vibrant arts and cultural scene. The position is open July 1.
    We are part of Lee Enterprises, a premier publisher of local news, information and advertising in primarily midsize markets, with 52 daily newspapers and a joint interest in six others, rapidly growing online sites and more than 300 weekly newspapers and specialty publications in 23 states.
    We are an equal opportunity employer, offering a full benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k, employee stock purchase and paid vacation. The position is 40 hours per week.
    Qualified candidates must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen.
    Please send a cover letter, resume, clips and references to: http://www.azdailysun.com/workhere/

2. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Flagstaff is a great town! I'm sure with the size of the staff and paper, the pay can't be great..

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That is a hell of a town.

NAU girls are very friendly if I remember correctly.

Phoenix two hours south and snow skiing in your back yard.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I know you can say "beware (insert newspaper company name)" on pretty much every job thread these days, but it bears mentioning that Lee has been a real piece of work lately.

5. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Bingo!

This is a Lee paper, stay far away.

The only thing I can tell you about Flagstaff is the gals are easy. Very easy.

I spent a weekend in the town a few years back and my brother scored with this chick we nicknamed "The Llama."

I was sleeping on the floor in the living room and heard a commotion in the morning. Llama said this to my brother: "You promised me I would be home by 10 a.m."

My brother's famous retort: "You'll make it home in time if you start walking now."

You got it, Llama began walking home and my brother went back to bed.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Wow, your brother seems like a real cool guy. ::)

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

so you're saying stay away from the job but visit flagstaff for the easy women.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Bingo!

This is a Lee paper, stay far away.

The only thing I can tell you about Flagstaff is the gals are easy. Very easy.

I spent a weekend in the town a few years back and my brother scored with this chick we nicknamed "The Llama."

I was sleeping on the floor in the living room and heard a commotion in the morning. Llama said this to my brother: "You promised me I would be home by 10 a.m."

My brother's famous retort: "You'll make it home in time if you start walking now."

You got it, Llama began walking home and my brother went back to bed.

=============================================================

Wow, what a great story.. *sarcasm off* Your brother sounds like a real winner.

9. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

How do you apply for this job?

10. reporter1

reporter1 Member

you know what they say, those who talk about it...

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

apparently reading the first post on the thread is a good place to start

12. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

my brother was going to school there, that was the reason for the visit

and he and Llama were both drunk off their collective rectums

but the story lives on and his now wife would die if I ever told her

so if you really want to work at this sweatshop with no cash in your pocket, at least you know you might score with the coeds there since the on-campus word is "humping is an intramural sport"

unless you are just out of school, you shouldn't want any part of the gig

Draft saved Draft deleted