1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Arizona Daily Sun, Flagstaff

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MatthewMarcantonio, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This saddens me ... we used to struggle to get things done with three people on that staff. Then again, we didn't have the universal desk at the time.

2. Azreous

Azreous New Member

The impression I got was no. The Daily Sun manages to stay in the black (barely), but corporate debt dictates hiring and firing these days. Unless that changes significantly, I have to imagine it'll be this way going forward. There's a possibility that someone could fill the reporter role for 16-20 hours a week, but that's a best-case scenario.

I'm with you. No one really saw this coming. However, as mentioned above, this is the same place that wasn't allowed/able to hire a sports editor for an entire fall season two years ago, so I doubt that this is just a move for the usual summer lull. I'd love to be wrong though.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The summer lull in Flagstaff is a true summer lull, at least until late July when the Cards hit town for training camp. There's very little to cover, other than the local Connie Mack baseball team and the local running scene, which the ME has a huge hard on for. I worked a lot of 15- and 20-hour works in the summer there. Also worked a lot of 65- and 70-hour weeks in the fall/winter, so it balanced out.

Draft saved Draft deleted