1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Arizona Daily Sun, Flagstaff

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MatthewMarcantonio, Jan 25, 2012.

1. MatthewMarcantonio

MatthewMarcantonio New Member

Saw this on journalismjobs.com. Passing it along..

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1315568

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Nice community. A little pricey and the job pays closer to $25,000 than $30,000.

Did anyone mention BLOGS!!!!!!!!?

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Flagstaff is beautiful and I've always liked the NAU campus. Almost transferred there after my freshman year. The drive down from 7,000 feet to the desert in Phoenix is great. Not what most think of when "Arizona" comes to mind.

Interesting that the SE posting for this shop, which was open about a year ago, was also the same salary range, which makes me agree with Stitch that it's closer to $25K.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm six years removed from this shop, but I can try to help answer any questions if anybody has any.

5. Zagsfan83

Zagsfan83 Member

Lee Enterprise's site says the Sun's circulation is just over 10k. Surprising.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Surprising as in low or high? The city itself is right around 60,000 people, but it's a transient population and the Republic circulates a state edition that sells well in town. The Sun also circulates out to some of the faraway areas in the region ... parts of the Navajo rez, Williams, Sedona and Page. Though I don't think the staff is there to do a whole lot with those cities or areas.

7. Azreous

Azreous New Member

I work at the Daily Sun currently. If you have any questions about the job, the city or the setup, feel free to PM me or ask them here. I will say that the sports editor apparently has received a pretty big batch of applications already, so if you're interested, you should probably act quickly.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Flag's smaller than people outside AZ tend to think it is. It's a cool community to live in if you can afford it, though. Beautiful country, and NAU's presence keeps it from feeling too smalltown. I'd say on a $25k salary you're going to need roommates at the very least, though you might be able to edge it higher. Interviewed for a job at the Sun a few years ago and I was able to negotiate up to $30k after I was offered the job. I didn't take it for other personal reasons, though even that much would've been really lean living there.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Gorgeous area, lots of outdoor opportunities. But, yeah, even with NAU/the Lumberjokes, it's small town.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yes, you'd either need a roomate, or you could live far out of town down toward Kachina Village/Munds Park or over in East Flag. You're not going to find much near downtown or NAU that's cheap. When I moved in '05, I was paying $720 to live in a one-bedroom near the office. There are some cheaper places over by Coconino High School, if I recall correctly.

11. Azreous

Azreous New Member

Cosmo's pretty much spot on, except one bedrooms anywhere near the city run for $800-$900 now. The housing market collapse has been particularly unkind to Flagstaff. There are some decent deals to be found if you don't mind living 20-30 minutes away.

12. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I started here, needed roommates to live on the salary, and loved the town and the paper. Same publisher these days - good guy IMO. Decent skiing too.

Draft saved Draft deleted