1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Radio running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Apr 26, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Unfortunately for them, many others will.

Hey, the guy is smart as hell. I give him props for that. He's just too 'cutesy' for my tastes. He's got a good look though, and he's bright enough to pick things up, so he'll probably do well

Jorge (George) Sedano. Good energy on that show, IMO

2. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

I enjoy Chris Myers on FOX Sports Radio. No schtick, and he manages to keep guests on topic.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Hey Elliotte that sounds a little self serving since you are a co host, but I do agree Bob Mcown is very good.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

-Siciliano is on the top of my list. For the poster who thought he did mornings, he does evenings now (7pm-10pm Eastern). Andrew is bright, smart, witty, and damn good at what he does.

-Maller is a close second. Maller is a smart-ass and is FSR's workhorse. He can do any shift, isn't afraid to say what's on his mind and if anyone can handle SpinMax and Cowboy Windsor, it's Big Ben.

-Sedano is fun to listen to when I go to bed. Even though he's in Miami and the rest of the crew is in L.A., dude can interact and get everyone involved.

-The more I listen to Todd Wright on SNR, the more I like listening to him. I wasn't a fan of his time at ESPN radio, but since he's jumped ship, I have to listen to his interviews and of course "Freedom of Choice" and "Winners and Losers" segments of the show.

-Czaban is a riot in the mornings. I get a kick of all of the stuff he talks about, sports and non-sports. Steve and Scott really lets loose on their podcast, where Czabe says that they can curse on the podcasts, whereas they can't on radio.

-Tony Bruno is still good, but not FSR good with Andrew. Only if FSR would have signed him to a long-term contract, because we would never had Van Earl Wright graced the airwaves with his pompous, boisterous voice.

-David Stein who does overnights on SNR. It's not totally on sports, but sports play a big role in the lives of people and it makes you feel inspired and good about yourself when you listen to Stein.

-Jim Rome, simply for the callers in the Smack-Off and when he goes off the script and starts talking about stuff like Rosie quitting "The View" and softball guy, he makes you sit and say to yourself "I can't stand him and his schtick, but he's right about this."

-Chris Russell on SNR weekend overnights. Russell gets the nutjobs on the phone and initiate a decent sports conversation with them.

Speaking of Papa Joe, here you go: http://foxsportsradio1460.com/skin/graphic.php?sectionId=20&contentId=57769

BTW, whatever happened to Rick Ballou who used to be on SNR until Todd Wright took his spot?

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

JC,

I cannot co-host any more. Sportsnet does not want me on the TV portion since I work for a competing television station. Been the case since last August.

Bob probably could have done something about it, but didn't. Does not change my feelings about his talent.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Dan Patrick is intelligent and at least he has a show I can listen to (much of the time) but I can't stand to listen him do interviews. Everyone's buddy-buddy; he's more interested in letting you know how much of a friend he is with the guest. Dan: I don't care that your guest didn't pick up the dinner check three weeks ago; nor do I care when you're going to get together this summer and play golf. If you have pertinent questions to ask, do it and go on.

I'd rather listen to a Spanish station than Cowherd.

7. mikemccall

mikemccall Guest

Jim Rome is one of the best interviewers around today in my opinion, but when I listen to these "awesome" calls from The Jungle, I always feel like I must be missing something because I'm never impressed.

I enjoy Patrick's show, Siciliano also. I'll pretty much listen to any sports show when I'm driving though, it doesn't really matter.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

- Can't stand Mike and Mike for more than one segment. I will listen, especially if they have Buster Olney or Jayson Stark.

-I know I'm in the minority, but a little Cowherd now and again isn't bad. (I know he spends too much time fellatiating {sp?} USC and the numbers from the TV side, but he does have a good point now and again.

-Patrick is good, but is much better with a guest/co-host. If Olberman was with him for 3-hours, it would be a fantastic show.

-Doug Gotlieb is a good b-ball analyst, but if its a topic he's not interested in, you can tell.

-I too miss Eric Kuselias in that SportsBash spot

-Still a fan of Fatso and the Fruitloop.

-haven't listened to Jim Rome since college....will withhold comment on the Fox Sports people b/c there are no local outlets.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Will they at least have you back as a guest either for the roundtable or for hockey/football analysis? Not too long ago, Ron MacLean was on Bob's program and he is from a competing market. When you filled in for Bob last year, I especially liked the interview you did with Craig MacTavish, coach of the Oilers and how you looked at the whole situation with Shane Hillenbrand and the Blue Jays. It is too bad you can't host/co-host.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Rome is one of the few people that can have me getting a head rush from laughing so hard at some of the crap he ether says or talks about. Love his delivery, although I know some can't and would rather have icepicks through their eardrums.

Most of the late night guys are annoying, but not much else to listen to on the radio except for oddballs talking about UFOs and ghosts, cnspiracies and weird happenings on Coast to Coast AM.

Like Bob Volvano and Gottleib is pretty good. Cowherd is okay in very small doses and if he isn't making himself part of the story.

Locally, I like Lochlan McClain (sp?) on WHAS.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Marconi knew John Thompson would ever utter a word on the radio, he would have killed himself in 1888.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Someone needs to make a Jim Rome dictionary.

Lettuce = Hair
    Grill = Mouth(not bling)
    ERRRRRRRRRR = Sound that occurs when Rome hangs up on a caller

Draft saved Draft deleted