1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Radio running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Apr 26, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

(Headbutt: Not sure if this should go here or on "Anything Goes." I'll be happy to move it if you want)

* Derek Deese is unbelievably bad. I have no idea why Fox Sports Radio employs him. He is brutal

* I'm very excited about Jim Rome's annual 'smackoff' call-in contest, which goes down next Friday (May 4)

* Freddy Coleman of ESPN Radio is one of the best-prepared and most even-handed radio hosts I've heard in a long time. He is excellent

* Ben Maller - One of the 'fill-in' guys for FSR, I really like his work

* Doug Gotlieb - Very intelligent, and obviously played elite D-1 hoops, but still not ready for prime-time, IMO. Too smarmy (oh, right, then he is ready for prime-time on the WWL)

* Jason Smith - Also very intelligent, and very passionate. Gets a little too happy with the numerous impressions for my taste, though

* Cowherd - Douchosity.

Who do you like/ not like?

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Re: Runing All-Purpose Sports Radio Discussion Thread

The Looney guy who does the sports flashes on FSR late night might be the most loathesome character in broadcasting today. Smarm+horrific puns=pure evil.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

He is hot and cold. The puns do get old. And I'm liberal, but his overselling of that perspective, sometimes, is annoying. Even to me.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

All I know is that JT the Brick makes my ears bleed.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Good word.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I guess this would be the appropriate celebration for me:

[​IMG]

7. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Rome is the best by far (a lot of that is due to his style/themes going beyond sports and certainly beyond tired old statistics and lame crap that most ST hosts use as gospel/crutch)

Dan Patrick is also solid

Dan LeBatard also has a good show with fresh angles/energy

Mike and Mike do a decent job. Format is good but I find it light on insight or interesting positions. They recycle a lot of the same stuff and guest. More format & gimmicks than meat/talent, but don't get me wrong its watchable/listenable.

No one else really stands out particularly. Most are all the same thing (stat boys & homers)

JDV

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I listen to some local guys(The Huge Show/Bill Simonson) most of the time.

JT the Brick is very unintelligent(Tom Looney is a pretty funny guy though). Rome is alright. My favorite would probably be Jorge Sedano.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yeah, I like Sedano. He's a whiner about his Yankees though

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

How long until boots comes along to decry this thread?

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I like Mike and Mike to a point. They do a good job of having intelligent discussions on issues. But a few things I hate:

* Greenberg tells nearly every guest that he or she "is the best."
    * To Greenberg, nearly everything is great.
    * Please, for the love of god, does everything need a song? They have a stupid song for every MVP candidate.
    * Why are they always "back and better than ever?"

Every talk-show host has to have a bit of an ego, but Colin Cowherd has enough for about a dozen talk-show hosts. No other host that I've heard spends so much time telling you why he's not talking about something. He could spend that time, I don't know, talking about the subject? Way too much football.

Dan Patrick's OK, but the 2 p.m. hour with Olbermann usually is terrific radio.

If Rome would speak standard English, his show would be much easier to take. He seems to make too much of an effort to use street lingo and then, on top of that, create his own. He repeats stuff incessantly much as if he has the mind of a kindergartener His interviews are solid, though.

Jason Smith is OK at times, but isn't as good as Todd Wright was. Any talk-show host who talks about taking his clothes off because he thinks it will help his favorite team win has a couple of screws loose.

12. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Hey Chuck,

Never heard of Sedano - but I am West Coast. How goes things?

Draft saved Draft deleted