1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Publishing Editor - Fort Collins, Colo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, May 19, 2014.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

We're looking for a copy editor for our sports desk. I'll answer whatever questions I can as we'll be working together a lot. Our paper is designed at the Gannett hub in Phoenix, but having a visual eye on our end really helps the product look great. It's a fun place to work at and I consider many of my coworkers some of my closest friends. Love the journalism we're doing and many of the newer Gannett approaches started here in Fort Collins. Hope we can add another great team member.

https://career4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=Gannett&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=32386&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=zq2M6GwTKFDwu3js4zwIBj%2bwyeU%3d

The Coloradoan, located in Fort Collins is looking for a well-rounded publishing editor whose efforts result in the most accurate, accessible and dependable journalism for those living in Northern Colorado.

You make every story better and optimize its presentation for every platform. You’re an expert in copy editing, headline writing, deadlines and workflow for our “every day, all day” digital products and our daily and weekly print products. Candidates with experience on a sports desk are preferred.

Qualified candidates will:
    Have proven editing skills, making stories conversational, clear and conform to grammatical and AP style rules.
    Optimize headlines for each of our platforms: print, mobile, tablet, desktop.
    Gracefully meet deadlines, act quickly and multitask on projects across platforms.
    Communicate well with an off-site design team.
    Have a degree in journalism or equivalent journalism experience.
    Have solid news judgment, including with sports content, to determine story placement on each of our platforms.
    Be able to connect the community to the right stories and give them the answers they seek via social media, including Facebook and Twitter.

Please submit a resume and cover letter with references. Candidates brought in for interviews will be given an editing test.
    If you’re hired, you’d work afternoons and evenings. This job requires some weekend work. That just gives you more daylight time to get out and enjoy the trails, the river and the foothills.
    The Coloradoan is a 25,000-circulation newspaper in Fort Collins on Colorado's Front Range. We believe in connecting with the community we love and live in, doing things intentionally and measuring our success with metrics. This year, we were honored as the state's most innovative newspaper for the second year running by the Colorado Press Association.

Fort Collins is a city known for its great quality of life and off-the-charts educational attainment, it boasts a booming craft brew scene, Colorado State University, a vibrant downtown, bike paths that traverse the community, hiking and all that the Rocky Mountains have to offer. Join us in continuing to produce great work and proving to the rest of the nation that community journalism is far from dead.
    Coloradoan Media Group is committed to diversity and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Since the design work is done elsewhere, is this position mostly text-editing, fact-checking, headline writing, compiling information and posting stuff to the website?

3. Matt Stephens

I'd say that's a safe assessment, but our copy editing crew plays a big part in coming up with a lot of the more detailed print designs and relaying that information to the design hub, especially with our larger features.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's good to know. One of the assumptions about these design hubs was that papers would all start to look alike. Glad to know your local people have some input on the major things.

Is there a local contact on the position who would be good to email directly, in addition to the Gannett website?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Matt has a lot of the answers here, but I can add some input on the area and how crappy it is to live here, and how dreadful the weather is and the dearth of things to do.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Mile, I detect drips of sarcasm coming off that post... ;)

7. Matt Stephens

I've been on vacation in Tulsa since Thursday. I get back Wednesday and will find out if folks should send their stuff directly to our ed staff.

8. Matt Stephens

Spoke with my editor. He said to just do it on the Gannett site. That way they can all be on file easier for the future.

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

People vacation in Tulsa?

10. Matt Stephens

Seeing the fam. Baby sister was graduating high school.

11. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

People who grew (grow) up in rural Oklahoma do, too... *ahem*

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

People vacation anywhere and everywhere. Lots of people who live in large cities relish the chance to go spend some time in the middle of nowhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted