1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Production Journalist -- The National, Abu Dhabi

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Paul Oberjuerge, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Giggity

Giggity Member

Pretty hard to call a guy a noob when he's been around since 19-dickety-two, or thereabouts.

I'm getting senile - did I mention I've seen every indication this is a fantastic opportunity for somebody with an adventurous disposition and the desire to make a bunch of money?

Because I meant to, but sometimes I get caught up bragging about how infrequently I post here.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm out of the business and hope to stay out, but man, this is tempting.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Big Crash of '29 wiped out all of JR's posts.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Based on what I've seen on here of your background, KJIM, this does seem like something that might be right up your alley -- just your kind of gig.

5. I could live with doing propaganda for an oppressive ruling class if the pay was good enough, but isn't the UAE a culturally dead, capitalism-on-steroids monstrosity in the middle of the desert?

Edit: To clarify, I'm just curious why everyone thinks this would such an exciting opportunity. I mean, yes it's in another country, but that doesn't mean it would be any more culturally rewarding than living in, say, Pittsburgh. And it might be less.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Let's not get too carried away. Few places in the world are less culturally rewarding than Pittsburgh.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, but he posted twice as much from 1959-1962 because there were two All-Star games held each year.

11. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

This sounds like a great opportunity. Out of curiousity, being a woman, what are the general attitudes there? I know it seems much more westernized and progressive than other places in the middle east.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Over 50 percent of the population is expat and only 20 percent are natives. My guess is that you wouldn't have too bad of an issue.

I've lived in two other countries, both Islamic. And honestly, I had more cultural clashes when I lived in Dearborn than in one of those other countries.

This might help in your research:
    http://www.expatwoman.com/abudhabi/default.aspx

As far as why anyone would want this, you have got to be kidding. Beyond the fact you'd be getting paid a decent wage to do your job -- a rarity for openings these days -- you're in one of the most culturally diverse areas you can get.

Demographic breakdown, per Wiki:
    Emirati 19%, other Arab 23%, South Asian 50%, other expatriates (includes Westerners and East Asians) 8% (1982)
    note: less than 20% are UAE citizens (1980)

Religious info per Wiki:
    Local observers estimate that approximately 55% of the foreign population are Muslim, 25% are Hindu, 10% are Christian, 5% are Buddhist, and 5% (most of whom reside in Dubai and Abu Dhabi) belongs to other religions, including Parsi, Baha'i, and Sikh.

--
    I've only lived in three cities in the US, but none of them came close to that kind of diversity.

Plus, you're based in a location that makes for easy travel to other locations. I went to 15 other countries while based in Morocco -- take advantage.

Man. If I didn't absolutely LOVE my job right now ...

Draft saved Draft deleted