1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Photographer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by erasedcitizen6, Feb 9, 2012.

1. erasedcitizen6

erasedcitizen6 New Member

Hey, was just wondering if anyone here is a hired sports photographer or know of any available positions/internships available. Will be finishing my B.A in the summer in photography and really want a job in the sports field.

Cheers
    Gareth

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Good luck, because photographers are a dying breed at newspapers.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Not really seeing that. With added video duties in addition to still photos, our photo staff is quite vibrant and busy.

My thought would be that you might not be able to specialize in sports at a daily, unless it's one of the chosen few.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed with jr ... may take a while working your way up the ranks before a shooter can do sports exclusively. Get ready for videos and slideshows, plus lots of thrilling check-passings, grip-and-grins, school assemblies, and, of course, the Pet of the Week along with the sports stuff.

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Just don't bitch about having to shoot a 7 p.m. baseball game five hours after you had to go to some old lady's house for "feature shoot" that took all of 20 minuttes of your time.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Papers are still hiring, just not as much. Helped get a friend of mine from my college paper a job here with me in Arkansas and sports are definitely her strong suit, but she does GA, too.

A friend of mine left the Farmington, N.M., paper a few months back and I saw the shop was looking to fill his photo spot. Might want to check there.

7. erasedcitizen6

erasedcitizen6 New Member

Cheers for all the responses so far.. Appreciate it

Draft saved Draft deleted