1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer, The Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by John Taylor, Sep 7, 2006.

1. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

The Washington Times, a 100,000-circulation daily in Washington, D.C., seeks a sports designer to play a key role in the presentation of the section.

We are looking for a candidate with experience at a metro daily paper and thorough knowledge of Quark and Photoshop. The job offers the chance to design the Sports front 2-3 times a week, along with an opportunity to help shape the future of the section. Working nights and weekends is required. The candidate should have a passion for sports and work well with others.

To apply, send a cover letter, resume and no more than 10 samples to:

Mark Hartsell
    Sports Editor
    The Washington Times
    3600 New York Ave. NE
    Washington, D.C. 20002

2. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Just bringing this back to the top to get a few more eyeballs on it.

Thanks, and enjoy.

3. zman82

zman82 Member

don't know much about dc other than it's a fun place to visit. is the post that kick ass that nobody wants to play second fiddle at the times?

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wish I had enough experience to apply for this.

D.C. is a neat place to live, even though it's pricey. Definitely need a roommate, especially on Times salary. Also puts you within an easy train ride of Baltimore. And both cities have OK Triple-A teams.

5. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

I agree that DC and the metro area is a great/neat place to live, and yes it can be a bit pricey, depending on where and how you live.

But perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised to know that not all of our folks are shacking up with roomates. Some do, some are married, some simply live by themselves. It can be done, believe it or not.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

True, John. I'm sure the vets make an OK living. I more was referring more to the D.C. newbies, who likely are on the bottom end of the paper's salary scale (especially if they don't have a lot of experience).

7. imnotpho-real

imnotpho-real New Member

So, what WOULD a job like this pay?

8. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

$34,500 a year, with no travel expenses to collect since you will be a paginator/desker

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Ouch.

10. John Taylor

John Taylor Member

Howdy folks -- just stopping by to give this one more bump.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

And hey, the Nats are at least Quadruple-A . . . .

11. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

That's sickening. I make that now at a 35,000 circulation newspaper and I don't have a title. This business is a joke, especially in D.C. Whoever said they can live on their own in D.C. making that kind of money is sharing a cardboard box near the Capitol.

You'd have to sell crack to Marion Barry to live in D.C. for that kind of money.

$34,000??? You're joking, right?

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sarcasm font, line 1 ...

Draft saved Draft deleted