1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports page designer/reporter, Martinsville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by franticscribe, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

take this as TP being a nice guy and not an asshole:

you have a lot to learn. don't learn what you don't know in martinsville. it very well could fuck up the career you're attempting to mold.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've been to a lot of places. Very few of them suck more than Martinsville.

But the people at the speedway are very nice.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Legitimate advice...I'm just looking to get my feet wet. All papers will be different and if it means getting some clips to put into the folder and maybe getting some more layout experience, it can only help for the future.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then by all means don't take advice from people with years and years of experience. i sincerely hope you get the job.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I smell sarcasm, ha. Nah, I'm feeling myself stuck under the tires of this crumbling economy and if it means throwing myself in the tigers den for a few months, I'll do it.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Honestly, Kevin, it's a 50-50 proposition that Martinsville will crush your spirit rather than give you serviceable clips for a future job.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw, dude. no sarcasm. i really hope you get the job.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Ouch. I hate for my views to seem self-centered or uneducated, however, I'm only about three weeks removed from college and I'm finding myself in desperate measures. I understand that working for "these people" may crush my spirit, then again, that may only make me stronger to tough it out then get the hell out.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

50-50 may be optimistic.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

May have its pitfalls, too. Ha.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Kevin, it's just better that you know what you're getting into. I don't know the SE but have only heard positive things. There isn't much to do in Martinsville. It is about 50 miles from Roanoke, a pretty neat place.

12. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I noticed that the name Ginny is nowhere to be found in this version.

Draft saved Draft deleted