1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports openings with Syracuse Media Group (Post-Standard)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Oct 24, 2012.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Hank. Sent you a PM on a related subject.

Who got the GA reporter and community engagement openings and where were you guys hired from?

2. Sluf

Sluf New Member

Hank,

Any movement on the lacrosse reporter position?

3. Hank Domin

Hank Domin New Member

We're close on the lacrosse position, so that one is kinda/sorta off the table right now.

Lindsay Kramer, the longtime Post-Standard writer, is the GA. The guy hired for the other football job hasn't started, so I don't think I should throw his name out there.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Just let us know when the other positions have been filled. Thanks!!

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

How about coverage of the Syracuse Nationals? :)

6. Jimmer

Jimmer New Member

I actually was contacted about a sales position in the company, and they had no idea I was in Rochester or my background (master's degree, mostly covered sports as part of the MA program, but also dabbled in entertainment).

Once the recruiter heard that/read my resume, I got moved to the people who were doing the actual hiring for writer jobs.

Best of luck, Hank. Congrats.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I hear the lacrosse gig is officially filled.

8. Sluf

Sluf New Member

It is. Got an email this morning saying as much.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Chris Carlson of the Virginian-Pilot is taking the Syracuse U football/basketball job, it appears.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Good for Chris, and as always we wonder if the Virginian-Pilot will now fill that spot...

11. Hank Domin

Hank Domin New Member

The college lacrosse job again is open. You can read the description, but I can tell you what we want is someone who is enthusiastic, innovative and hard-working. Make sure your samples aren't just gamers and features. Email or PM me with any questions.

http://jobs.syracuse.com/jobs/sports-reporter-college-lacrosse-syracuse-ny-55683584-d

12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

It appears Jessi Pierce, the old hire four months ago, became the assistant sports editor at the Oneida Daily Dispatch.

Draft saved Draft deleted