1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports on Earth writers and editors laid off

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DrewJo, Aug 5, 2014.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That's a good point about the election cycle. So I guess I'll enjoy the site once every four years.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

There is probably roughly 18 months where 538 and Real Clear Politics are cited constantly in most major papers or on most major websites. 538 gained so much credibility during the last election that it's hard to imagine it's not going to be the go-to place for political junkies at roughly this time next year.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

How Leitch kept his job over all the jettisoned talent is a good question.
    He isn't terrible, but he isn't good either.
    He's as interesting as your average Cardinals fan.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

538/ Grantland/ Sports On Earth - the problem is there is just not enough
    time in a day to consitantly go to those sites and read all the content.

It takes a big commitment. For the most part SJ is my clearing house for Grantland.
    I usually go there when someone links an article that they deem interesting.

I still don't really get the ESPN / 538 connection. Is 538 a sports site for 3 years
    and then on the 4th year morphs into a political site?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Cardinals fans can be verrrrrry interesting.

https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

6. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

Agree with what most of you are saying. If you're going to run a profitable, successful online venture these days, at least in a long-term sense, there needs to be a mix between high-end (longform, opportunity investment, etc.) content and - because I lack a better term and not sure what the print industry equivalent is - daily production line content.

Anything that ONLY features premium or novel-length content better have some other financial anchor. I hesitate to ever offer any sentiments like "the dumbing down of digital readership"...but let's face it, the only longforms to consistently attract eyeballs are usually investigatory journalism features.

Writing high-brow, longform as SOE and Grantland are apt to do needs to be balanced with something else usually, or else you're solely relying on your masthead being so very interesting that audience will invest time based on your casting card alone.

7. Boom_70

During NFL season Mike Tanier is definitely one of my go to writers.

8. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

The only "bright side", though it's silly to call it that, to any of this is that I see a name like that and I have zero doubt he'll be employed elsewhere before NFL season begins. Assuming he was one of the cuts? If not, admittedly it may be a bit easier for him :)

But the point remains: if you are a recognizable personal brand, you will find gainful employment. So best to always keep that brand relevant.

It helps to be good enough to have that brand presence, of course. So I wouldn't know; I'm just a middle-aged man rambling!

9. Boom_70

I thought I read that Tanier still had a job but agree that he would get gobbled
    up right away.

He would be a good fit at MMQB although "The King" might
    feel threatened.

10. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

Actually brings up a good point - where do most of these writers go? I suppose I mean SOE layoffs specifically, but generally, just these recognizable brand names who have built their value based on independent blogs then SOE-type ventures.

There was a time when the WWL was a slam-dunk but honestly from what I seem to hear, and this is just from the circle I hear it from, not professing to have total knowledge, ESPN just isn't a very welcoming prospect anymore unless you're REALLY chasing that paycheck and they're committed to pay. Know more than a few folks who have been turned off by their "we don't care what interests you, here's the gig, take it or leave it now" attitude.

Yahoo is obviously toast, unless anything has changed recently. SI is always a possibility, but most of these writers are MMQB types and I wonder how political Peter King is when he staffs that. Even as-is, it's not like they have a huge writer roster.

I'm stumped on where you land without changing your expectations or style entirely. Maybe I'm just pessimistic though.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

For people like Hruby, Culpepper and Tanier, among others, places find spots for guys like that.

It was like when Trotter was let go by SI. People were contacting him about jobs almost immediately.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Does MMQB make money?

Draft saved Draft deleted