1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports On Earth goes live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Grantland has morphed greatly from what it originally was. No more "AL east Beat writer" stuff. They realized there were better uses of resources, and they also have become a site that mixes some serious writing with some great humor and stuff that indicates they know sports isn't the be-all, end-all of life.

That type of stuff would definitely fall into the category of "I don't care to read that." Tired of being told how special sport is. I'm already sold on being interested in reading about sports, I'm here. Now hold my interest. Don't try to tell me why what I'm reading is so important.

2. Simon

Simon Active Member

How many people actually get to the end of Grantland articles? I can't remember the last article I actually finished there. Maybe I just have ADHD.

Obviously, the more good sports journalism, the better for all of us. Should people be afraid that Gannett owns this operation?

3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

My first thought was that it has some growing up and identity-finding to do, especially in its design. They have a fairly simple concept, putting a bunch of very good writers front and center and leaving the chaff behind, but the look-and-feel and the headlines are strangely ordinary. I'd prefer a super-clean look, a la Grantland (maybe that's the problem, that they want to look different from their obvious competitor) to what they have now.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The issue with websites like this is there aren't many people who wake up in the morning and want a one-stop website to read high-quality sports with. And those who want that already have websites to visit.

Why is Sports on Earth different? Why should the public take a look? From the comments I've read, it seems a good deal of them are coming from writers.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Needs RSS feed.

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I have a question: Is this a collaboration between USA Today and MLB.com? If so, it's hard for me to get away from the idea that MLB.com (or MLB Advanced Media, or whatever) is simply Major League Baseball.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Needs more pie charts then.

8. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Surprising with the heft of MLB that the design is so unsophisticated.
    In the league of Bleacher Report, without the ubiquitous slide show.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Nobody's going to like this comment, but where's their Bill Simmons?

They don't have one because there isn't another one.

Right now Grantland's doing movie sequel bracketology. Is it sports? No. Lame? A little. It's funny!!!

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So why doesn't USA Today even have a link to it on its Sports front?

11. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

This is a good question.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is this site going to have new content every day? I noticed that they put up their own College Football Top 25, but it seems like 99% of what I see on the site now was there yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted