1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/News Reporter- Wartburg, TN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by FusilliJerry, May 28, 2014.

1. slc10

slc10 Member

brojones, keep us posted on your progress. Sounds like you want to remain in your hometown which is not a bad thing. In this day and age with the situation of the newspaper industry, complaining about the pay is probably not the best idea. I have been out for a couple of years and applied to a number of papers along with other lines of work where I can use the skill set. I can't live off $20K but it is more than what I have in the bank now. Wish you well brojones.

2. brojones47590

brojones47590 New Member

I will keep you guys posted. I know at least 25 others have applied too. The paper has just gone through a lot of upheaval and there is a new editor there so there is no telling what route they'll take on the hire. But I will keep you guys posted.

3. I dream of living in a single-wide with my next wife and her eight kids.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I hate third jobs. And with that salary, you'll probably need that third job.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Lot of truth to that, and it's not just newspapers. If the minimum wage goes to $10 per hour --- and even higher in certain locales --- what's going to happen to other jobs higher up the food chain. If this happens on a broad scale, it has the potential to lead to widespread unemployment because companies aren't going to be able/willing to hire as many people at that rate. Just simple economics.

6. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

There is one self-proclaimed "expert" on these threads that attacked me for pointing out a sports job that was paying $10.50 per hour, which is peanuts and an insult if you have a college degree. I paid my dues in the mid-1990s with $10 per hour sports newspaper jobs and it about broke me. Gatehouse is notorious for dicking around newspaper employees and their salaries. I haven't made as little as $10.50 per hour in almost 20 years. ...

Draft saved Draft deleted