1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/news designer, Myrtle Beach, SC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kurt Knapek, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how come this section has so much staff turnaround?

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

as I've said before, good folks down there, and the staff, IMO, is infinitely more stable now that the new SE is settled.

having said that, word from the fmrsped pipeline (admittedly, not as solid as the moddy or the boots) is that their most recent hire has taken a position at the washington times. i'm told they have this combo position open and now a strictly design position open.

their last two exits have been to the virginian-pilot and now washington, so you're going to get a look if you do good work. although, that's not to say you wouldn't want to stick around. some major femininas all summer.

any other questions, PM me, i'll do my best to answer. and no, i'm not xxxx from the myrtle beach sun news.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh, fantastic location, which made me wonder about the turnaround. how big of a staff is there?

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I'm painting myself as a bit of an MB apologist, which I'm not, but Tom, I really think it's just been coincidence. One of their copy editors who left last year around this time was unhappy, I do know that. But the other exits have been to bigger gigs.

As far as the staff makeup, someone else will have to say for sure what the desk looks like. the SE used to be the ASE and ran the desk, not sure if he still works the desk or not (although with the shotrage, I'm sure he does). They have three writers (preps, Coastal and Pelicans) and a columnist.

EDIT: Staff makeup, when full, will be SE, ASE, one copy editor, one designer, one combo, and a clerk per night. Add a golf writer (I'm an idiot) to the writing staff.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's all good fmrsped. nobody is painting you into a corner here ... really.

Draft saved Draft deleted