1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Network Auto Racing Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianGriffin, May 31, 2008.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I don't know if wire service jobs usually get posted here, but this sounds like one that could be up the alley of some NASCAR writers here.

It's based in suburban Philly. I flirted with a job opening there once a couple years back and they weren't going to pay for the move. Pay for the job I was going for, a similar position but not the same one, was mid-40s. People seemed good and a couple of folks I'm familiar with there are good people.

By the way, I'm not exactly sure when they first posted this. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago, but didn't think about putting it on this board at the time. So it's been up for a while.

AUTO RACING EDITOR/WRITER
    Responsibilities: Writing and editing Auto Racing content for The Sports Network, a real-time International sports wire service and Internet content provider. Information to be worked upon includes and is not limited to: Previews, recaps, features, racing updates and statistics for all NASCAR, Formula One and IRL. Basic computer skills and auto racing knowledge essential. Experience with a newsroom environment preferred. Individual must be able to work nights, weekends, and be willing to relocate to the Philadelphia area. All work will be done on site.

To apply, submit resume, cover letter, writing samples and salary requirements to:

The Sports Network
    Attn: Phil Sokol
    2200 Byberry Road, Suite 200
    Hatboro, PA 19040
    http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=market/employment.htm

You'll notice a couple of other web-oriented jobs listed there too, a web editor and web producer...

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This job was posted a few months ago and I don't think they made a hire.

The people seem to be flustered and aren't good at getting back to applicants.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If it weren't for the Philadelphia part ....

4. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

For those of you who may not know, "on site" means from their office, not the racetrack.

Can you imagine? I've "covered" every major sporting event in the country, and the Olympics, from my office!

5. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

So wait, The Sports Network is a wire service? I thought it was an AP rewrite service.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No ... you're thinking of AllHeadlineNews.com.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This same job was posted a few months back. Along with some other website positions. I applied for one without realizing all writing would be on site. Regardless, it took them three months to send me an e-mail asking if I'd move to Philadelphia.

Nope, I just like applying for jobs to screw with you, If hired I plan to work from my basement in Michigan.

Draft saved Draft deleted