1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Media Exchange

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Killick, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Gutenberg,

So you would think, but you will be very surprised how much of a norm these "FIRE" scenarios have become of late, especially with so many newsrooms still in flux with budget cuts, etc. SEs haven't been able to plan as far ahead on even the most important beats because perhaps two months ago it appeared they were going to be able to send three writers on the road and then are finding out just now that they have to pull back one writer.

We took the time back in early to mid-July to pitch season packages to a number of different papers so that they could plan out their coverage well in advance and we got some good feedback on the packages. Some are still awaiting budget approval before committing, but da man can probably attest to the fact that lining up extra help on the road is still way down their priority list. I know I landed some gigs at Dolphins home games as late as the Wednesday before the game from some pretty big papers because they had forgotten to follow up.

Getting back to your question da man, no, we do not require exclusivity. In fact, our operation can more accurately be compared to that of a headhunter organization. So while we are here to serve as a reliable tool to find work for all of our writers, if there is other work you can obtain on your own then by all means go for it.

AK

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

"We are being proactive and spoon feeding the SEs content that they either did not realize they could use or knew they could use but hadn't been able to either find a writer in that city or hadn't had a chance to search because of his or her other responsibilities. ........"

Wow, I didn't realize the level of talent at the Sports Media Exchange. It must be run by some heavyweights who were sports editors at award-winning sections.

3. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

who won what awards is pretty irrelevent in this discussion ... as is the level of gravitas sported by the SME proprietors ... the only things that matter -- and that's why I've taken a strong interest in this subject -- is trying to create something positive in the midst of what we all know has been a slide into deep gloom ... this effort will either succeed or fail ... but there's one way to make sure that nothing positive/innovative/profitable happens, and that's to do nothing ... these guys are at least trying ...

As to the notion that only "disorganized SEs" are the ones who face last minute freelance emergencies ... that's total bull and I'll put my 15 years of hooking up stringers and SEs together behind that ... things happen ... trips are cancelled at the last minute ... coverage teams don't lose in the playoffs like they're supposed to ... staff assignments get switched at the last moment ... stringers back out (although if it's someone I've made the hookup on, they'd better hope the paper gets to them before I do) ... and on and on ...

4. Fran Curci

The good sports editors I know aren't "spoon-fed" content" and, yes, they know what they need and what is out there to be written about.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This will end up being local, but this is a case in that area where a freelancer will be running around like a decapitated chicken trying to get his money for his work.
    And it's not the SEs fault in any case... I'm familiar with a bunch of them.
    Just the fact that the companies themselves suck.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was talking about calling the papers covering the visiting teams. I was typing quickly and left that out. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Though if you can get a steady gig working a certain team for one of the hometown papers, that's great.

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

FYI for those writers interested in giving us a try, I just posted this on the Jobs board:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/72895/

AK

8. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Is this company still viable?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes. I have worked for them as have many others around here. They're great to work with and are entrenched with several media entities.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What he said.

11. writingump

writingump Member

I covered the NCAA men's golf championship for SMEX last month and was paid in full two weeks later. I'll vouch for them and will work for them again if asked.

12. Fran Curci

Anyone know what newspapers are paying the full fee for this service? My recollection is that it requires some up-front money. (I've hired a slew of stringers in the last year who were more than happy to deal with me directly without benefit of a middle man.)

Draft saved Draft deleted