1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Loses Five at Deseret News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline's Salt Lake bureau:

Five in sports gone. A preps guy, the outdoors editor, the USU beat writer, an assistant SE and a remote bureau chief

Two took the early retirement buyout a few weeks ago, two others were reassigned to cover spots created in other departments from the buyouts. One was involuntarily let go.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's got to be a huge hit. How big was the staff to begin with?

3. Moderator1

Not sure - still "gathering" information.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Writing staff is big. Over 20 on staff, including editors. Layout isn't included in that number.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember being surprised how big the staff was at the Olympics. I just assumed a lot of them were newsside guys helping out, but more often than not, that wasn't the case.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No way Salt Lake City needs 20 on the staff, unless they feel they need a mountain-climbing beat writer.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Tell me, all knowing one, how many staffers does a 75,000 circ newspaper need in sports?

Consider, there is an NBA team, six Division I colleges, a few minor league sports, the normal high school sports scene, and it's home base for a gruntload of winter olympic sports.

Please fill out your ideal staff.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I work at a 170K (maybe), and we don't have 20 writers/editors. If you're counting deskers in that total, then yes.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm not saying 20 (since that's the number being used) is too high or too low. But how would you fill the staff out and keep it to, say, 15?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Give me distances. How close is the paper to all the teams?

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

This is especially bad news because of the unique situation of the Deseret News. That paper is under much less profit pressure than most. I'm pretty sure that the LDS church isn't trying to maximize shareholder value. So if they're feeling the pinch, we're all screwed.

Good luck to everyone in Salt Lake.

12. Moderator1

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700241562,00.html

Draft saved Draft deleted