1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The newspaper is cute as a part-time gig now, but I can't see myself going back full time now either.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i ask both BBAM and Bird a simple question: why do neither of you think you'll "go back?"

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

An excellent and fair question, TP, and one answered by simple pragmatism.

Five years ago, I lost my job at a Tribune paper under a more bullshit situation than that experienced by Steve Elling in Orlando. After 10 months of sending out more than 100 resumes to papers all over kingdom come -- including those beneath my experience and talent level -- and getting only two nibbles (for columnist jobs in Colorado Springs and South Bend), I realized the business wanted no part of 37-year-olds with 17 years experience.

It was painful, to say the least. Very painful at times, especially when I'd see people with inferior abilities cruising along at mid-sized or metro dailies -- the same papers that except for a couple of near-misses as a finalist for open jobs -- I couldn't reach.

I was fortunate enough to segue into PR, where I discovered not only a better life and fatter paycheck, but a wealth of opportunties that seem to mushroom with every day's experience. A buddy of mine is on the board of the local PRSA chapter and sends me job leads just for grins and giggles.

On it's worst day, that job board would put the APSE board on its best day to shame.

Not only have I come to grips with it, TP, but I get random offers to freelance prep games. I turn down far more than I accept. I can count on one hand the amount of fall Friday nights I had off in 17 years and I've rather become fond of the concept. Plus, that part of my life -- while a lot of fun -- is over. The only freelancing I really want to do is the stuff I do for golf magazines.

Does that answer the question?

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Shit Bird. That's such a good answer, it makes me think of hopping unto the PR bandwagon.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

There are a lot of things that pay more money, doesn't mean I want to do them.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

17 years experience was the problem. The inferior ones you speak of were probably younger, or "cheaper." No one wanted to pay what you are worth. Every company seems to be looking to go the cheapest route possible. Sad. Glad you have a better paying job now.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm 25 and the business scares me right now. I don't want to be wondering every day if that's my last day on the job at my current place.

The university isn't going anywhere. More resources than ever are being put into the book. It's nice to work 9-5. In January, education is virtually free and I'll get a master's in something (not journalism) and I'll make my next move.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Bingo.

Or they'd take the path of least resistance and hire someone from two counties away.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Understood. Me too, fish.

I happen to be lucky enough to have segued into something else I like doing that pays better and offers vastly greater opportunities for advancement.

The problem many writers encounter is the pyramid becomes steeper and steeper as you try moving up the food chain. Fewer and fewer good positions, more and more people trying to grab them and too many other variables at work other than talent and experience.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Some of you folks make it sound like PR jobs are out there ready to jump into at a moment's notice.

Not that easy.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, I know. I know. I'm not knocking. I've been quite fortunate, and I know that.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Unless you let errors get into the paper by not catching misspelled words/refusing to run spell check. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted