1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Information control freaks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pencil Dick, Dec 1, 2009.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I don't think in the pros you'd have many cases of a PR person telling reporters not to ask certain questions. They know they wouldn't get away with it, and they wouldn't. As someone said earlier, SIDs live in fear of coaches many times. The same is not true at pro level. If a PR person on a pro team tells me not to ask someone a question, it will get asked bunches of times.

2. That's because is the pro ranks the coaches can't exercise the same level of control over the players. They're men, not boys. It makes a difference. Also, the pecking order on most pro teams has the superstars and next-level stars with more clout than the head coach anyway.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm not a push-the-envelope kind of person, but if I'm granted an interview, that implies permission. Athletes and coaches are technically under no obligation to speak with us.

If that permission contains a restriction, I need to decide if I'm willing to do that interview under those conditions. If I am, great; if not, I can get my information another way.

But to be mad at the SID for enforcing the implied agreement is wrong. He said there would be no questions about the incident and now people are upset that the interview ended when there was a question about the incident... So sorry, but you broke the implied agreement to do the interview so the interview is over.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The football SID is one of the most despised in the country.

5. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

True and not because he's incompetent, because he's very good at his job, he's just a slimy little turd of a human being.

Florida was terrible to deal with under Spurrier, Zook and Meyer but it's gotten worse since John Humenik was fired for not towing the company line enough. The AD at Florida is arguably the best in the business, but he's also the most paranoid person on the planet.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just want to say good for Joseph Goodman for not letting the SIDs dictact what questions can be asked.

If more reporters did this instead of being willing to settle for scraps, it might make schools throw up their hands and stop trying to keep such a firm grip on access.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Now when Bama wins UF can blame the big bad media.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The guy making $4 million per year is going to call the shots. Period.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I've NEVER gone through the SID at the D-II school I cover. I just go up to the coach or an athlete if I need them; heck, even call their cells if it's urgent. I would guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

10. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

I have a friend that covers Florida. He doesn't dislike Meyer, but he told me that he rules with an iron fist like Saban.

11. spud

spud Member

The tradeoff? It's D-II.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

In no particular order, massive misery and eternity in hell to:
    Florida
    Jeremy Foley
    Urban Meyer
    Steve McClain

I hate Alabama and Nick Saban but today ... ROLL TIDE.

Draft saved Draft deleted