1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Oct 3, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Really can't overstate that. He lost the fight and he's holding onto pieces that aren't his and he has no use for.

When I was hired by Arena less than two years ago, I got stock options at a price of about $16/share. The stock is now 77 cents a share.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It is hard to see SI making it through this. Times are tough and now this dysfuntion.

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How many subscribers even realized they missed an issue? Before I let mine expire I had no idea when it was supposed to arrive.

Lt.Drebin likes this.
  4. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How frequently is Sports Illustrated supposed to publish an issue? What is the publication schedule?

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Seen this with other pubs. Layoffs, cheaper paper, shrinking trim size, reduced frequency.

Difficult to make a profitable business case. Market's crowded with competition. SI is dead.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

once a month I think

7. playthrough

SI is my shop so I gotta push back a little on that. The missed mag issue is a bummer, no doubt, the result of the asshattery of the previous licensee. But to the media who have breathlessly written "SI missed an issue for the first time in 70 years," well, I'd say the first missed issue was the first week it wasn't a weekly anymore. And it hasn't been a weekly for years.

Besides not being a weekly, what SI isn't anymore as a magazine has been well-documented. Of course I'm biased but I would argue it still passes the old Moddy test of "give me something good to read." And it still serves a purpose in the overall business model, though the growth and revenues are more online now, as is the case with darn near every outlet that still creates a printed product.

Fortunately the new licensee is proving to be very nimble so far in navigating choppy waters and I see a lot of positives. Which is what I'm supposed to say but I also believe it.

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The link is a Business Insider article about all the lawsuits flying in the SI licensing debacle. I tried to figure out exactly who was suing who but became overwhelmed and gave up. But the lawsuits seem to be about who controls the websites and not the print magazine (I may be very wrong about this).

Sports Illustrated ex-publisher wants $200 million from Authentic Brands Group, saying it stole website and employees

But is the print product going to restart, has it died, or is it in purgatory somewhere?

If in fact SI stops printing what would be the largest print magazine devoted to a sporting topic? I don't think the Sporting News still produces a print product. The ESPN Magazine is gone. Pro Football Weekly is gone. What is left?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2024
  9. JoshBarnett

JoshBarnett Member

This is an intriguing question in that the ones that remain feel like they are narrow topics or sports with a participation element that is part of the coverage. I think Golf Digest, Runners World, Bicycling all exist in print with reduced schedules from the past. I think there is still a Tennis magazine.

Sports Business Journal is a B2B trade publication so not traditional sports content either, but still publishes a weekly print edition (50 a year). Print is still a driver of significant revenue, though, many “print” readers now access the magazine via e-reader or PDF download. And yes, I’m admittedly biased because I work there.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There is no print TENNIS magazine. Last issue was about 18 months ago --- fittingly, devoted to pickleball.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  11. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Active Member

Golf Digest, Golf, The Golfer's Journal, The Hockey News all have print editions. There are dozens of sports magazines at Barnes & Noble, how many are monthly or even quarterly, I know not.

12. playthrough

SI is back in print. If anyone can't already tell I'm plenty biased on this, but Bhargava and Arena don't deserve one nickel. They lost SI completely on their own, failed to properly hand over what wasn't theirs anymore upon losing the license and are now throwing legal Hail Marys. As Bhargava has had a penchant to do for years.

To follow on what @Typist Clerk said, I've been a subscriber to The Golfers Journal since it began seven years ago, it's a quarterly with a great business model based on The Surfers Journal, which is a monthly that's been around for 30 years. Beautifully produced magazines with strong content. The subscription price isn't cheap but it comes with a number of other benefits and seems to engender a lot more loyalty than $10/year mag subscriptions. And virtually nothing is given away online.

Draft saved Draft deleted