1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

That's why it's as boring as shit. But thanks for spelling it out better for me!

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think you can a market a sport nationally without star power, no matter how compelling. I will continue to like watching college basketball.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I watch the school I cover because I have to, and March Madness because I want to. The regular season is awful.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people who are into sports in general wouldn't enjoy college basketball.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Nowadays it amounts to being a 10-episode season of a show that has almost an entirely new cast each year. You don't get hooked on the characters.

Dick Whitman and Lugnuts like this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The Romantic age of basketball - about 1983-2000 or so, captures late Boomers and Gen Xers. Many in the latter group are deep into the parenting years.

Millennials skip right to the NBA.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I can't support a sport that makes kings of rotten people like Calipari and Knight.
    Fuck college basketball.

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

When you live in SEC county and watch terrible college basketball every year, I can understand.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Would you say the same thing to an NBA fan who doesn't like the WNBA?

College basketball is an inferior product. Teams struggle to break 60 points regularly.

10. Jake_Taylor

I will put it this way. I don't get why college football is so much more popular. It's also inferior to the NFL. I prefer college football or basketball to the pro versions, but get why many don't. But I don't get why people who like college football not being more interested in college basketball.

Then again, I grew up in a place where even the JUCO and D-II programs had incredible atmospheres at their games.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The quality of play doesn't have much to do with CFB being more popular. I'd say it's the weekly march toward a possible title (any loss could be doom), playing rivals once a year, the cross-generational appeal, players stick around a few years, most college football teams are connected to the region, (college hoops these days are pretty much AAU squads that decide to play for a particular coach or shoe brand).
    I don't know if anyone even "looks forward" to the next season after a college season is done because they know their best players are gone and don't have a read on the incoming class.

12. Jake_Taylor

I get that's the perception, but outside of Kentucky the best teams are generally led by juniors and seniors with a one-and-done or two mixed in. Why is watching Leonard Fournette forced to come back only to focus on not getting hurt more appealing than watching Buddy Hield develop into the best player in the country? Why do people obsess over who Bama's second-string right guard is going to be, but can't keep track of slight roster turnover at Duke?

I just find it weird other than for some reason football, at all levels, became the cool sport in this country and turned everything else into a niche.

Draft saved Draft deleted