1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated Delivery Delay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For past month I've been getting my SI a week late. In past it always arrived on Wednesday of same week. Now I am not getting till following Monday.

Spoke to SI and they say nothing has changed. Spoke to local post office and they say that sorting has changed and nothing can be done.

Curious if this is happening elsewhere. Certainly could put a huge crimp in
    SI renewals.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Here in Canuckistan I get it on a Friday, often on the following Monday. Still haven't received this week's issue, which I suspect will come today since yesterday was a holiday, but I still haven't received last week's issue which is rare for me. This, of course, could all be a massive Canada Post screwup which would surprise nobody.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I did second-class mailings at a legal publication, doing the sorting and that kind of thing.

You can do a publication watch via the post office to check your issue. I don't know if they still do that or not.

Guessing on what might have happened: is someone in your Zip code dropped a sub or more came in and it changed the makeup of the mailing in your city or something. Freaking annoying, especially since it's all allegedly done by bar code.

When I lived in Detroit, my Hockey News subscription came over a week late, too. The guy down the street had no problems, though.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My Rolling Stone subscription always arrives well after the current issue is on the newsstands. So when I called to inquire why, I was told that my subscription was more about the convenience of not having to purchase the mag in a store rather than getting it in a timely fashion.

Not surprisingly, my Economist sub arrives promptly every Tuesday.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I was wondering about that, too, Boom. I still haven't gotten mine from last week. It's a little less interesting to read about college games that occurred two Saturdays ago, and previews of games that were already played. Same with the NFL.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds like there has been a change in postal distribution. I spoke with SI yesterday and they confirmed that this weeks issue was mailed.

I guess if enough people complain SI will go to Post Office.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

One of the biggest beefs I have with SI is the lousy swag you get for renewing. How many gym bags and ill-fitting fleeces does one guy need? Give me a copy of NCAA 12 or go back to the NFL helmet phones!

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It could also be that your mailman decided he wanted to read it and took it home for a couple of days.

When I was a subscriber, I often suspected that would happen. Instead of getting it on a Wednesday or Thursday, it would come on Saturday, looking quite ragged.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's it, Baron -- Postal employees regularly violate Federal law to read your Sports Illustrated...a magazine that's (a) losing readers by the bushel and (b) is catered to middle-aged and-older white guys, a demo that doesn't exactly fit any mail carriers I know.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This seems to happen to me once or twice a year ... not quite often enough where it's irritating, but still ...

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given what you can get a RS sub for, this isn't surprising. They've possibly arranged for tripleZZZ PO service, with
    an accompanying rate accommodation.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My then-mail carrier was an older middle aged white guy.

And how the hell would anyone be able to prove someone took home a magazine, read it, then delivered it a day later? You think the carriers are actually admitting to it?

Draft saved Draft deleted