1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated: Carlos Beltran: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Which hat on the plaque?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2016 A.L. All-Star.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Beltran is now the 18th player with 2,600 hits, 1,500 RBI, 1,500 runs, 1,000 walks, 500 doubles, 400 homers.

The list of the 17 other people to do that: Aaron, Ruth, A-Rod, Bonds, Gehrig, Musial, Murray, Mays, Yaz, Griffey. Palmeiro, Winfield, Robinson, Pujols, Ripken, Chipper.

Throw in his 300 steals and it is just Beltran, A-Rod, Bonds and Mays.

Next year he'd be the 17th player with 2,700 hits, 1,500 RBI, 1,500 runs, 1,000 walks, 500 doubles, 400 homers.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Beltran is now the 9th player with 2,700 hits, 1,550 RBI, 1,550 runs, 1,000 walks, 550 doubles, 400 homers.

The list of the 8 other people to do that: Aaron, Bonds, Musial, Murray, Yaz, Palmeiro, Pujols, Ripken

Throw in his 300 steals and it is just Beltran and Bonds.

If he gets to 1,600 runs, 1,600 RBI, 1,100 walks, 550 doubles and 400 home runs, the group stays the same. Same at 2,800 hits.

If he gets to 450 homers, then Ripken comes off the list.

Songbird likes this.
  5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Forgot there was a thread for Beltran and it was started that many years ago. What's funny is, of the early replies Manky's was probably the best and most sensible. A few of the more respected posters here pretty much pissed on Beltran.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People were legitimately #MadOnTheInternet that I started the thread. @KYSportsWriter said people don't look at SB success rate. Don't tell Tim Raines that.

I don't know a lot.

But I know baseball.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Most'll describe Beltran in one word ...

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Beltran might be the best compiler in MLB history. Only time he has ever led the league in a single category was once -- games played. Only two top 10 MVP finishes -- a 4th and a 9th. He's got some nice postseason stats though, including 16 dingers in 55 games. He's probably most known unfortunately for taking a called third strike. I'm sure he will get in eventually, but I think it'll take a few tries.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ding Ding.

10. cjericho

I'd say Harold Baines is the best compiler in MLB history. Take a look at Beltran's similar players on baseball-reference, about half are HOF. Eddie Murray isn't one of the similar guys, but Murray's career OPS 836, OPS + 129. Beltran's .841 and 120.

Pretty much all of his years in KC, he was on a bad team in a small market. It's a joke he is so remembered for taking a called third strike. But that's got something to do with a lot of Mets fans mentality of thinking the less talented hustle rah-rah guy is better than the better player who is simply more talented, but not as talkative or charismatic. Many Mets fans think of themselves as a small market team because the Yankees always have spent more money. Also the two World Series they won, they were a pitching dominant team.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  11. cjericho

Not going to say back then I thought Beltran was HOF but it was a good article and don't think anyone should've said definite yes or definite no. At this point, I'd say he's HOF, but don't think he's a lock. Couple weeks ago was talking about it with a buddy who played D1 and a very successful hs coach who has coached a couple guys who played over a decade in MLB. Buddy who played D1 said Beltran is HOF, coach said not yet.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Went back and read the thread. Very illuminating. Glad my contributions to it weren't that idiotic.

Draft saved Draft deleted