1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports icons, a running list

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

A fucking horse.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

A FUCIN" HOUSRE!!?!?!?!?!??!

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Add...

Art Rooney
    Jerome Bettis
    Hines Ward

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

To many, Mantle is only third-most iconic..... Yankee.

5. 93Devil

This is all generational.

I knew a man who cried at Mantle's death, but he was about Mantle's age. When you see one of your peer heroes pass away, it gives you a sense of your own mortality.

So when Bettis and Ward move on, it will strike a closer chord than Lambert and Greene.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

For a lot of white guys of a certain age who grew up in and around the five boroughs . . . absolutely.

Feel bad for the guy, but dissipation doesn't deserve full-blown sympathy.

7. 93Devil

True story...

A few friends and I were staying at a place in the Poconos when Mantle's body rejected the liver transplant, and it was obvious that he was not going to make it for much longer. We had the local news on in the background.

The Scranton/WB kid at the anchor desk, you know how the younger talking heads cut their teeth in the smaller markets, delivered one of the classic lines I have ever heard.

"Tough break for the Mick."

We were amazed at the line. It was delivered like he dropped a fly ball or got a called third on a pitch off of the plate.

I can only imagine the phones lines lighting up after that classically glib comment.

8. The day Mantle died, my younger brother wrote it on the refridgerator dry-erase board for my dad to see when he got home from work.

It's never been erased. It's still on there: "Mickey Mantle Died" stuck to the side of the refridgerator. Like he can't bring himself to erase it.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Thoroughbred horses are magnificent athletes and many have been loved by millions of people, like say, Barbaro. They count.
    Has anybody mentioned the others besides the Babe who led the so-called Golden Age of Sports. Jack Dempsey, Bobby Jones, Red Grange, Bill Tilden. It is easier to be an icon in an individual sport.
    PS: Bird, Larry.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

PPS: Willie Mays, John Unitas

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Did I miss a Joe Montana mention?

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Two Jewish sports icons:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014