1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Guy's editor missed something...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Van Lingle Mungo, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Damn, I'm only six years older than you!

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Then how do you know that and I don't? Am I THAT sheltered?

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That's exactly what I was trying to say, emphasis on trying. And for what it's worth, IJAG, I'm younger than you, and I'm familiar with the term in question's racial undertones. So get out and live a little! :)

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I wonder if it's a geographical thing, since I've never heard of this term, either.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Simmons' editor probably would have changed that, too.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Simmons' editor changes diapers?

7. Very nice ...

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

My mom said that about a preacher one time, that he called a spade a spade. If course, she sid it to a black guy, and quickly changed the subject. Doofus

9. No.
    "Niggardly" has never, at any time, not even at the most virulently racist time, been a racial slur.
    "Spade," on the other hand, has a long, infamous history in that regard.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

But wasn't there some political figure or lawmaker in the last few years who used "niggardly" in its proper form and got some heat for it? I can't remember the story, but I thought something like that happened.

11. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

it happened, in d.c.

http://www.dcwatch.com/mayor/990203.htm
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/williams/williams020499.htm

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

But what if you call a black quarterback, who also happens to be an All-American javelin thrower, a spearchucker?
    That still makes me laugh, every time.
    Simmons didn't have to choose "spade" he had three other choices. Diamond makes more sense and then he could have followed with a bling reference.
    And niggardly has gotten politicians and columnists alike in trouble.
    In more important news: I just noticed that I have a 1969 penny on my desk.

Draft saved Draft deleted