1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports/GA reporter, Ridgway, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 24, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Sports/General Assignment Reporter. The Ridgway Record, a daily newspaper in Ridgway, Pennsylvania has an immediate opening for a full-time sports/general assignment reporter to join our staff. Experience in sports and general assignment writing required, also experience in page layout(preferably on Macintosh computers), headline writing and digital photography, as well as a good working knowledge of all types of sports. Duties include: reporting local sports events, and local meetings along with community news. Candidate must also be proficient with computers. Candidate will be required to write and edit stories on deadline as well as design and layout pages on deadline. The Ridgway Record provides extensive coverage of high-school sports to its readers, which can lead to off-kilter working hours, so candidate's schedule must be flexible. Candidate must have a valid driver,and a reliable vehicle. The Ridgway Record is located in Northwest Pennsylvania and is a 3150 circulation daily paper. The Ridgway Record offers an excellent benefits package: Health/Dental Insurance, 401K, Paid holidays. Send resume and story samples to; The Ridgway Record, c/o Publisher 20 Main Street, Ridgway, PA 15853, Email: publisher3@alltel.net

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I know the guy who just handed in his notice. From what he told me, the publisher is not the best -- but who is? It's basically a rag.

There are two high schools in the coverage area: Johnsonburg and Ridgway, both in District IX. The Johnsonburg baseball team just finished second in the state --PIAA Class A -- tournament, with its two best players graduating, one of whom was drafted. My buddy covered Johnsonburg, so that'll probably be what the next person will cover.

You can expect to make a little less than $20,000, which should be just enough to survive in the small towns there. And with it being an afternoon daily, the hours will be a bitch.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

mike31 is right on all fronts.

You'll be lucky to get $18K there. But take away the crap hours, Little League gamers and a penny pinching chain, the job's perfect.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My buddy left there after about a year on the job to take a job in radio sales. Radio is his calling, so he's trying to get back in the business; I don't believe his departure had much to do with the environment in Ridgway. But expect to be ridden hard. He's a little burned out.

Like any first job, it's not going to be the best. But whatever you can do to get in the game, go for it.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Even if it's a game that's probably going to be called in the fifth inning due to rain, lightning, hail and a bitchslap from Hay-zeus himself.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Any set of directions to Ridgway, Pa., includes "take a right at the barn with the Chewing Pouch tobacco sign on it."

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I drove through the town once. In the time it took me to leave a voicemail, I was out of the town. I can't imagine there's anything to do there. But, I've only spent 1 minute, 38 seconds there.

8. winger26

winger26 New Member

what happened??? it appears there is more than one job opening at this paper????

9. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

It is not the end of the world, but you can see it from there.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

(Cueing theme from "Deliverance"...) ;)

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

[​IMG]

At least you know you'll be appreciated.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I imagine it stems from the management. But it could be cyclical. My old paper lost four people in a six-week span, including me. When I asked if this was normal, an editor told me, "Yeah. We all get used to it."

I know it was the management there.

Draft saved Draft deleted